'Manchester 100' sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Parrot of Doom

Speaking of tight situations, one of the motorcycle marshals almost wiped himself, me, and an oncoming car out, as he overtook us on a left hand bend at speed. One of those "wish I'd had a camera" moments tbh.

Schneil, I saw someone on a full sus mtb with knobbly tyres doing the 100 mile ride, so I think you had it easy :smile:

DTD

Veteran
Did it with a friend in 9 hours (had about an 45 mins of breaks) first time I've ever done 100 miles, so perfectly happy to have finished in any time. Felt pretty good, but have just had an 11 hour kip. Bloody lucky with the weather.

Was riding with my friend who had the (much admired) Kirkham Precision – also got asked to take some group's photo on their phone, as we're both photographers if they'd like to give us their address for our invoice…

Did see one incident with a woman who was being treated by an ambulance crew – looked liked she had come off and was holding her face, though she was stood up.

endoman

Nope, and Nope - Sorry.

I was in a non-descript red/white/black top and was hanging on the back of a group from Seamons CC - They very kindly let me scrounge a very fast tow for the last 30 miles :smile:

Was with them till half way, and for a bit near the end as well.

400bhp

Guru
Was with them till half way, and for a bit near the end as well.

So was I. I left about 7:20. The group must have been 30+ at the start but got whittled down to about 10 by the half way point. However the Seamons guys stopped at about 35 mile refuelling stop. Did you carry on with us or stop with them? There were 3-4 riders from another club in the group who's name I can't remember (white tops).

I've got the mile by mile ride stats too-a couple of miles were averaging 26+

Me and a guy with tri-bars set off pretty quickly after the half way point and paced each other for another 30 miles. I'd ran out of steam around 85 miles.

Which one were you? I had a red top with black arms (Karrimor) and was on a black CAAD 9 with mudguards.

endoman

So was I. I left about 7:20. The group must have been 30+ at the start but got whittled down to about 10 by the half way point. However the Seamons guys stopped at about 35 mile refuelling stop. Did you carry on with us or stop with them? There were 3-4 riders from another club in the group who's name I can't remember (white tops).

I've got the mile by mile ride stats too-a couple of miles were averaging 26+

Me and a guy with tri-bars set off pretty quickly after the half way point and paced each other for another 30 miles. I'd ran out of steam around 85 miles.

Which one were you? I had a red top with black arms (Karrimor) and was on a black CAAD 9 with mudguards.

Joined them after tbe 35 mile stop till half way, at the back with black and green bolsover club kit.

Camgreen

Nope, and Nope - Sorry.

I was in a non-descript red/white/black top and was hanging on the back of a group from Seamons CC - They very kindly let me scrounge a very fast tow for the last 30 miles :smile:

You probably passed me and my better half around the Mobberley area (we were on the 100k) .... certainly remember the Seamons tops passing us.

carolonabike

Well, that was my first 100miler. The weather could not have been more perfect, the route was lovely and I really enjoyed myself yesterday. My sister and I did it together and managed 9 hours, but we did stop at every refreshment point :biggrin:, actual cycling time was 7.30, so not speedy but since neither of us had done 100 before we were out for the challenge and a nice day.

Oh, and cheers to the guy at the end who pulled a face on hearing we had started at 7.20. "What and you've just finished NOW? Very encouraging :angry:. As it happens we were less than impressed with your press up, plank and handstand demos but were too polite to mention it. Even though it did make us smile. :biggrin:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Why would he even bother citing it as problem then (if it wasn't)?

Its entirely possible for a strong rider to do those times with little food and water. Maybe he ate before hand but didnt take enough on the bike with him and thus suffered. Or maybe he just isnt a pussy!

Well done to all those who did the ride!

grimpeur

Veteran
Its entirely possible for a strong rider to do those times with little food and water. Maybe he ate before hand but didnt take enough on the bike with him and thus suffered. Or maybe he just isnt a pussy!

Well done to all those who did the ride!

Yeah,those Pro-Tours riders they mustn't be very strong having to eat and drink on those 100 mile stages.:rolleyes:

If you read his post properly you will see that he admits he bonked half way round so he obvioulsy wasn't as 'strong' as you give him credit for and you are clearly talking through your a#rse.

And as a footnote I would like to add that I also did the ride,ate and drank plenty AND got round without cramps or any other loss of performance.

As an interesting and not insignificant footnote I have also raced against and beaten by some margin the poster referred to in a race(time trial) earlier this year so what does that say about your inane comments regarding the strength of the rider? strength has nothing whatsoever to do with the physiological need for food and liquids.

Oh, and thanks for the credit you gave to those who finished the ride. I was pretty awesome in actual fact.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Yeah,those Pro-Tours riders they mustn't be very strong having to eat and drink on those 100 mile stages.:rolleyes:

If you read his post properly you will see that he admits he bonked half way round so he obvioulsy wasn't as 'strong' as you give him credit for and you are clearly talking through your a#rse.

And as a footnote I would like to add that I also did the ride,ate and drank plenty AND got round without cramps or any other loss of performance.

As an interesting and not insignificant footnote I have also raced against and beaten by some margin the poster referred to in a race earlier this year so what does that say about your inane comments regarding the strength of the rider? strength has nothing whatsoever to do with the physiological need for food and liquids.

Oh, and thanks for the credit you gave to those who finished the ride. I was pretty awesome in actual fact.

Yes exactly, he bonked half way................. he suffered just like I said, he didnt take enough with him on the bike and thus his average was less than he had hoped, but he did those speeds, whether he ate or not, so it is of course possible. Read my post properly!

paul123

Another vote of thanks to Seamons CC. I joined a group with 5 of their riders, one of whom nearly came off before the half way point! They pulled a large train for a good few miles. I was on a Bianchi with yellow top. They helped me get a time of 5.23, not world beating but good improvement on last years 6.04. Great days ride, perfect weather and thanks again.

endoman

Another vote of thanks to Seamons CC. I joined a group with 5 of their riders, one of whom nearly came off before the half way point! They pulled a large train for a good few miles. I was on a Bianchi with yellow top. They helped me get a time of 5.23, not world beating but good improvement on last years 6.04. Great days ride, perfect weather and thanks again.

was in that group, near off was on a left hander IIRC.

rdt

All-yellow jersey? I spoke with you too, asking if you were part of the club. I was in the group from the halfway feedstop to the finish. Quite funny how with thousands of folks on bikes y'day, a number of us on here all seem to have ended up in the same small group. Obviously talented at spotting a good train when we see one...

There was a bit of a crash right behind us, not that long after leaving the halfway stop - a very large group had formed at that time so don't know who they were. I hope they were OK. Anyone hear anything?

Top Bottom