Manchester 100

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
fossyant said:
Just posted an event review thread - loved it !!!!

http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=18520

5.15 for me, only stopped for 15 mins.

That's very quick - to me at any rate, you and Nom De Plum have averaged about 20 mph for 5 hours !!!

Please tell me that you are well under 40 (preferably under 30) - how many miles a week do you do ?

Respect is due to anyone completing that distance, especially in that kind of time - presumably, you didn't stop to admire the views ?

Out of interest, what did you eat/drink ?

Well done !!!

I always feel my performance is "good for age" at 37, but feel the reply to the last post will leave me rudely awakened!

nom de plum

pubrunner said:
That's very quick - to me at any rate, you and Nom De Plum have averaged about 20 mph for 5 hours !!!

Please tell me that you are well under 40 (preferably under 30) - how many miles a week do you do ?

Respect is due to anyone completing that distance, especially in that kind of time - presumably, you didn't stop to admire the views ?

Out of interest, what did you eat/drink ?

Well done !!!

I'm 47, same age as Malcolm Elliot, age is less relevant in cycling than any other sport. I know retired folks that can do evens all day!

pubrunner

Legendary Member
nom de plum said:
I'm 47, same age as Malcolm Elliot, age is less relevant in cycling than any other sport. I know retired folks that can do evens all day!

You're 47 !!! - Bl**dy H*ll !!!

I think I'd struggle to do 20mph for much more than half an hour !

For how long have you been cycling and what sort of training do you do ?

After reading about your efforts I feel both discouraged and encouraged; on the one hand, that sort of time is light years away from what I think I could do; on the other hand, if you as a 47 year old can do it, then maybe with some sustained and consistent training I might be able to get closer to that kind of performance.

Many on this site are highly experienced and very able (fast) cyclists; some (myself) are mere beginners. I've only ever done one 40 mile event and apart from that I've never cycled more than 30 miles in one stint. I have to say, however, that when I'd did the 40 miler; I found that I completed it much faster than I expected because I was cycling in a large group - much easier than solitary riding. A friend of mine once did 479.8 miles in 24 hours - he was gutted because he only just missed out on averaging 20mph for 24 hours - all on his own !!!

You stated that you know retired folks that can do 'evens' all day - pardon my ignorance, but what are 'evens' ?

I'd like to thank all those who have entered postings regarding the Manchester 100; one thing that I have gained (and possibly a few others will feel the same) is a great deal of inspiration - reading about quite a few of you doing a 100 miles for the first time - this is the Cyclechat forum at its best !!!

I'm now determined to follow the example of others and do a 100 miler.

Well done guys !!!

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm nearly 39, so no spring chicken !!

Could have been quicker, but we kept our group together for about 70 miles before a few little hills split people up - tiredness was setting in fast.

I do upto 150 miles a week, mainly commuting 20 miles a day on the bike. I've been cycling properly since I was 16.

Eating for this type of event - 4 x 750ml bottles of sports drink (refilled at the stop at Nantwich) plus 1 x large malt loaf (squashed up and cut into 4 - 880 cals in one of them), 2 x frusili bars, and 2 x flapjacks - they were like eating cardboard though - next time - home made ones.

It was my first 100 in over 15 years (plus 20 getting to and from the start).

Just keep at it, try commuting to work by bike as that does get you fit.

nom de plum

what appeals to me about cycling is that you really can perform at a good level when your older. I used to run marathons until all the injuries began to take its toll.
Evens (20 mph) is considered to be a good benchmark over any distance. I novice 10 mile TTer would probably aim for 30 mins just as a novice 25 miler would aim for 1 hr 15 mins.
I do between 150 and 200 miles per week depending on work, weather, and terrain, but a more reliable measure of effort is hours on the bike.
pubrunner...if you still riding seriously in 2-3 years you'll be able to do a similar effort over 100 miles!
Steve

pubrunner

Legendary Member
nom de plum said:
what appeals to me about cycling is that you really can perform at a good level when your older. I used to run marathons until all the injuries began to take its toll.
Evens (20 mph) is considered to be a good benchmark over any distance. I novice 10 mile TTer would probably aim for 30 mins just as a novice 25 miler would aim for 1 hr 15 mins.
I do between 150 and 200 miles per week depending on work, weather, and terrain, but a more reliable measure of effort is hours on the bike.
pubrunner...if you still riding seriously in 2-3 years you'll be able to do a similar effort over 100 miles!
Steve

Thank you for your encouragement. Problem is, first and foremost I'm a runner; time for bike training is an issue - particularly since I have two kids, not to mention 'er indoors. Interestingly, I see that one of your bikes has Running Bear decals - do you know Tony Hulme ? A very good runner, especially on the fells. I know quite a few of the Wilmslow runners - it is a very good club.

Do you do your weekly 150-200 miles on 6 or 7 days training ? You do have rest days ?

nom de plum

pubrunner said:
Thank you for your encouragement. Problem is, first and foremost I'm a runner; time for bike training is an issue - particularly since I have two kids, not to mention 'er indoors. Interestingly, I see that one of your bikes has Running Bear decals - do you know Tony Hulme ? A very good runner, especially on the fells. I know quite a few of the Wilmslow runners - it is a very good club.

Do you do your weekly 150-200 miles on 6 or 7 days training ? You do have rest days ?

I normally have 2 days off. If you do a 70+ ride at the weekend then it soon adds up over the other 4 days.
I've always used his shop, it would be hard to find better advice anywhere.

Non-forum member Paul S (Wilmslow Runners...helps with the organisation of the half M... and Altrincham Raven), got the frame from Tony a few years back. He had bought some Italian Columbus Aluthron and Starship frames to be painted in corporate colours, as an advertisement for the shop. PS sold me his. I use it in the winter...(correction, I use it when its wet!!)
Steve

pubrunner

Legendary Member
nom de plum said:
I normally have 2 days off. If you do a 70+ ride at the weekend then it soon adds up over the other 4 days.
I've always used his shop, it would be hard to find better advice anywhere.

Non-forum member Paul S (Wilmslow Runners...helps with the organisation of the half M... and Altrincham Raven), got the frame from Tony a few years back. He had bought some Italian Columbus Aluthron and Starship frames to be painted in corporate colours, as an advertisement for the shop. PS sold me his. I use it in the winter...(correction, I use it when its wet!!)
Steve

What is your winter bike made from ? Out of interest, what is your summer bike ? Is it much lighter ?

I know of PS through my brother who is a founder member of Wilmslow Runners. PS was a very strong runner, though I believe he moved much more into cycling a few years ago; I know that he has got 3 or 4 very good bikes. I've not seen PS for quite a few years, the last time that I saw him was in my parent's pub in Shropshire.

I might be heading more in the direction cycling myself. My constant running niggles - plantar fasciitis etc, don't seem to affect me whilst biking.

nom de plum

pubrunner said:
What is your winter bike made from ? Out of interest, what is your summer bike ? Is it much lighter ?

I know of PS through my brother who is a founder member of Wilmslow Runners. PS was a very strong runner, though I believe he moved much more into cycling a few years ago; I know that he has got 3 or 4 very good bikes. I've not seen PS for quite a few years, the last time that I saw him was in my parent's pub in Shropshire.

I might be heading more in the direction cycling myself. My constant running niggles - plantar fasciitis etc, don't seem to affect me whilst biking.

I've got a few training bikes; the Runnng Bear is Aluthron (italian plain gauge alu) it's heavy but bomb proof. I've got an Aria tubing fixie and a Pennine reynolds 531c (which is beautiful). This is a review of the Planet-X http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2006/reviews/planet_x_superlight
I'm on a budget so this is great bang for bucks

PS is a neighbour and a good guy

steve

pubrunner

Legendary Member
nom de plum said:
I've got a few training bikes; the Runnng Bear is Aluthron (italian plain gauge alu) it's heavy but bomb proof. I've got an Aria tubing fixie and a Pennine reynolds 531c (which is beautiful). This is a review of the Planet-X http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2006/reviews/planet_x_superlight
I'm on a budget so this is great bang for bucks

PS is a neighbour and a good guy

steve

My other brother also has a Pennine Reynolds 531c. He's looking to get rid of it, so I may bung him a few quid for it; I've never seen another one. It wasn't the lightest (in relation to more modern bikes) but I recall that it was very smooth to ride. What do you use your Pennine for ? I've only got bikes with 531 frames, they will be good enough to do distance rides won't they ?

Ask PS if he remembers running for a pub relay team at the Park Hall relays in Shropshire many years ago - (Unless my memory is failing, I'm sure that he ran for us).

emma_avfc

http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=18520&page=2&highlight=MANCHESTER+100

This may be a long shot, but if people could read my reply to part of the original event report then I would be hugely grateful.

In a nutshell my husband was assaulted whilst completing the event on Sunday by some chavs in stolen corsa hitting him with a solid plastic baseball bat. The police are involved and we are trying to find some witnesses to these idiots as apparently they were reported by other people for dangerous driving. God help them if I ever get hold of them!!

Thanks in advance

Emma

Top Bottom