FNRttC Manchester-Blackpool 1st June 2018.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
This year, the most Northerly FNRttC is going to Blackpool but fear not, the most popular parts of the previous route are still in there. That means that we'll be using the quiet moorland roads between Haslingden and Blackburn and we'll ride along the lovely lanes from Ribchester to Garstang.

If all goes according to plan, there will be a flatter departure from Manchester (some of which is traffic free), breakfast in a proper cafe and a ride down Blackpool Prom. The (almost) inevitable beers will follow once we're in town.
Sadly, we won't be able to use the Knott End-Fleetwood ferry since the tides aren't favourable.

Useful info:-
  • the maximum distance will be 74 miles (I'm still fine-tuning the route)
  • it's very hilly to Longridge, undulating to Garstang and then very, very flat

• we'll stop at the 24 hour McDonalds in Whitebirk again; it's just before half-way

• the ride is on Friday 1st June and it leaves at midnight from Albert Square in front of Manchester's town hall
Transport info:-
Most trains to home run from Blackpool North Station. Some are direct to London. For other destinations (or more choice of London trains) change at either Preston or Manchester. Trains from Blackpool South Station go to Preston then on to Blackburn, Burnley and Colne.

All Virgin train sevices will require cycle reservations unless you're bringing a folder or are prepared to dismantle your bike (wheels in a bin bag, frame in the bike space has been known to work). It's advisable to get bike reservations with all the other train companies except Northern Rail where you can't and it doesn't matter anyway.
Cheap Virgin Trains tickets have only just gone on sale.

I'll post sign-up info later.
Please feel free to ask if you need more info.

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Couldn't get the night off, so I'll be missing this one. And a new (to me) destination as well. Grr....

Domus

Guru
Looking forward to my first night ride. Will train back to Bolton. Need to book the bike first.

Which route out of the city are you thinking? Radcliffe perhaps. :biggrin:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I should be there this year :smile:

A warning to everyone is that Transpennine Express are also going 'Reservation only' from the 20th May, so be careful to make sure you've booked a space with them if you are using them. On the plus side, TPE still let you book bike reservations with train ones on their website (that covers all operators, not just TPE.

wanda2010

Guru
I'm wondering whether I should have booked a train later than 1103?!

Planning to book my return for about mid-day, subject to available bike reservations from 12pm. Not been to Blackpool in years so would like to walk around bit.......... or just stay in the pub :cheers:

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I was about to warn you that there have been rail replacement buses from Blackpool to Preston for months but it looks like the electrification work has been completed.

As you were ... :okay:

Some Northern Blackpool trains are now running through - but lots aren't and will turf you onto a bus twixt there and Preston. Info on the trains this week suggests this will all be sorted by the end of May though.

I could be interested in this one, trains permitting.

OP
OP
Andrew Br

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Looking forward to my first night ride. Will train back to Bolton. Need to book the bike first.

Which route out of the city are you thinking? Radcliffe perhaps. :biggrin:

You'll be very welcome Domus.

Radcliffe ? Yes.
I'm planning to use NCN6 from Kersal Vale (was ever a place so inappropriately named ?) to Radcliffe.
It's very dark but we've got big lights, it's flat and there are no cars.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I should be there this year :smile:

A warning to everyone is that Transpennine Express are also going 'Reservation only' from the 20th May, so be careful to make sure you've booked a space with them if you are using them. On the plus side, TPE still let you book bike reservations with train ones on their website (that covers all operators, not just TPE.

It may be the rather delicious and quite frankly moreish, Italian white wine I shared over our evening meal in the sunshine, but I am not seeing a bike reservation option on the TPE web site. One for when the brain cells recover from their anaesthesia. :laugh:

OP
OP
Andrew Br

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Some Northern Blackpool trains are now running through - but lots aren't and will turf you onto a bus twixt there and Preston. Info on the trains this week suggests this will all be sorted by the end of May though.

I could be interested in this one, trains permitting.

I think the trains that are most affected are Northern Rail's, primarily because Arriva banned crew overtime when they took over.
From what I've seen and heard, Virgin Trains are running OK and that, I suppose, is the most important since those are the trains that the "far away-ers" will be using.
I'm planning on using Northern Rail back to MCR from Blackpool North because I don't fancy trying to change at Preston onto an over-crowded TPE airport train.
If that plan fails, I'll head to Blackpool South for a train to Blackburn and change there for MCR.

Top Bottom