FNRttC Manchester-Blackpool 7th June 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Andrew Br

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
It's strange what a little time and reflection does to your memories.
If I'd been organised (and sober) enough to write this on Saturday I'd have gone on about the unrelenting rain, the tough hills, the monstrous wind, everything being "epic" but that I'd enjoyed it.
A few days later it doesn't seem so bad; drizzle from time to time before McDonald's and a bit of rain afterwards although I still remember the wind in the same way and the ride was very enjoyable.

Back to the beginning and I got to ChorltonCH to meet the Massive way too early. It was raining a bit but it was warm and I took a layer off but kept the waterproof on. It stayed on 'til BPool.......
The various Massive members arrived on time and there were the usual "What are we doing this for ?" comments. We all say the same things on FNRttC, we just say them more frequently when it's raining. Which it was.
Into MCR early and some sheltering opposite the town hall since Albert Square was fenced off for MIF and cyclists started to arrive from all directions.
All were on time so we set off almost bang on midnight for the schlep towards Salford along some really crap cycle lanes. We also made our 1st and 2nd crossings of the River Irwell.
The shortened off-road section came and went quickly (two more Irwell crossings) and the hill up to Prestwich was barely noticed by the group.
MAC and James were ready and waiting so we continued our convoy to Bury and stopped, as we always do, to remember AlanS/jogler.
Layers were adjusted for the climbing that was about to begin; Bury to Tottington is a gradual grind before the road steepens for a short time and then descends. This was the first stretch without street lights.
The safety warning about the tricky bend in the dip was heeded (at least everyone made it round) as was the advice to "let it rip" on the following dip and we regrouped in Edgworth. The Rose and Crown was closed, unlike last year.
The climb up towards the Grane Road stretched the group out but it didn't matter; the wait at the top wasn't long and it was still comfortably warm. As a further bonus, compared to last year, we could see the poles that guide the snow ploughs and the line in the centre of the road at the same time. We could also see up and down rather than feeling it.
The descent towards Blackburn and McD's is lovely (at 02.30; lots of fast traffic during the day). It always seems to repay the effort taken to get to the top so we were a cheery group when we arrived. My morale was also boosted because we were earlier than last year. And it wasn't raining.
I'd said to a few people that setting off again would be unpleasant but I hadn't anticipated the rain starting with a vengance. Despite my earlier comments about memories softening, it was a downer. Still, the Fridays being the Fridays, we cursed quietly and got on with it. Then I took a wrong turn and we had to back track. I'd like to say that was the 1st time I've gone wrong there but..........
Back on track there was the drag through what was left of Blackburn and then the fabulous descent to Ribchester. I stop on the bridge over the Ribble to look back at the line of lights coming down the hill. It's a great sight.
I always think of the climb from Ribchester to Longridge as being particularly cruel. There are lots of false summits and the last rise is the steepest.
At least there's a bench to sit on at the top.
Again it didn't take long to regroup and we set off but managed to lose the back of the ride temporarily. Back together again and in daylight we tackled the lanes pretty much as a peleton before we hopped on to the A6 for a few miles. West of Garstang it's incredibly flat and we made good progress before the boring drag into Fleetwood.
A slightly early arrival at Frankie's and Bronnie's for breakfast was both a surprise and relief to Bronnie; given the weather, she'd been expecting a text in the middle of the night saying "We're not coming". She clearly doesn't know the Fridays.
Unlike last year, we didn't sit outside but, like last year, tea, coffee and food arrived quickly and with good humour. It was also delicious although I have to admit that, after riding through the night, my standards may lessen slightly. In those circumstances I'll probably eat anything. Except andouillette, obvs. Joking aside, I did enjoy it and they do try very hard.
Then came the final stretch which meant going back outside into a freshening wind and the roughest few miles that I've experienced on a FNRttC.
That part of the memory hasn't softened; it was gruesome. I must check on Strava to see if my highest heart rate coincided with being flicked sideways by the wind as I passed a gap in the sea wall. The sand blasting in to my face (and mouth and ears) just compounded the misery.
Thankfully the cross wind relented as we turned round Rossall Point and it became a cross/tailwind speeding progress towards Blackpool and Wetherspoons after pictures under the tower.
The pub was very busy but we managed to get enough seats for everyone and the over-riding sentiments seemed to be:-
"Thank goodness that's over."
"Let's do it again next year."
"More beer ?"
The responses were:- Yes; YES; YES.

Back in MCR (after an interesting journey) a few of the Massive went for a beer. Then another. As we do.

In retrospect, I think this was one of the most miserable MCR based FNRttC and yet one of the best.
The weather wasn't great (really Sherlock ?) but, wind along the Prom aside, it wasn't epic.
What was epic though was the spirit of the group; no surprise with a Fridays ride but still........ it's humbling and uplifting.

Thanks to everyone for checking your bikes over; no punctures or mechanicals. Marvellous.
Particular thanks to bazzer for TEC duties and the way-markers en route. I've said it before but a group that can look after itself really helps the ride leader.

Further thanks for making the effort to come to MCR for the ride.
Hope to see you next year.

ETA: Strava, so it did happen https://www.strava.com/activities/2434201682#kudos

It cruelly (IMO) highlights the wrong turn.

Last edited:

Helenb

Great right ups @StuAff and @Andrew Br.!
I really enjoyed the event, although it does seem a bit blurry now. The bad weather made it a completely different experience to what it would of been. For me the rain took my mind off the steep climbs. And being with a great group took the pain away from the rain and wind.
Thanks to @Andrew Br for doing a great job of leading us in bad conditions, and producing a never ending supply of battery and lights! And @Bazzer for looking after me at the end going down the prom. It did flash through my mind to get off and walk but i could see the tower get bigger the more we peddled, and i kept going.
It was my first ride with the Friday's and I'd definitely do another, it was good to meet you all. Sadly im away the york to hull ride, I would of done that one if i could.
Thanks. Helen.

Attachments

• 20190608_080056.jpg
    20190608_080056.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 20190608_035245.jpg
    20190608_035245.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 20190608_095335.jpg
    20190608_095335.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 20190608_104059.jpg
    20190608_104059.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 48
Sounds interesting.

Out of interest, being a student of those things and knowing a few in those parts, which spoons did you end up in? Anywhere handy to put the bikes?

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Sounds interesting.

Out of interest, being a student of those things and knowing a few in those parts, which spoons did you end up in? Anywhere handy to put the bikes?

The Albert and The Lion, next door to the the Blackpool Tower.
There was a large planter in front of the main doors and the first bikes were locked and leaned against it on the door side. Bikes were then leaned and locked against the first bikes. In effect bike parking was created through force of numbers. :laugh:

Ta for the reply bazzer

Don't think i have been in that one though I have been past. Always seemed maybe a bit too well used.

My favourite one in that area is the one in saint annes, short pedal up the coast, plenty of outdoor seating/places to plonk bikes, slightly curious quiet location behind main drag, always had some good local beers when I have been there. Handy aldi nearby for fuel refills.

Last edited:

Helenb

Well written up @Andrew Br. I had my GoPro on my handlebars so made this 3 minute roundup. This is the first time I've used it in anger so an interesting learning experience.

There are a lot of rain spots. And a "funky" soundtrack mixed with some words which I quite like but you may wish to turn down speakers/headphones.

Enjoy.

Thats great! I'd forgotten you had a go pro. It's bringing back all those memories can't believe we did all that!

OP
OP
Andrew Br

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
My favourite one in that area is the one in saint annes, short pedal up the coast, plenty of outdoor seating/places to plonk bikes, slightly curious quiet location behind main drag, always had some good local beers when I have been there. Handy aldi nearby for fuel refills.

I know the pub you mean Blue Hills.
Unfortunately, after riding all night, a few extra miles aren't going to find favour with a group, especially as we'd then have to ride back into town to get trains home. I know the line from BPool South is an option but, for most, it would involve a change of train at Preston.

I still haven't found a suitable alternative to the Wetherspoons that we use. If you've any suggestions, please let me know for next year.

Understand your points Andrew.

Tis a flat ride though and a nice pub - particularly if dry.*

(oh - just remembered - a decent bike shop round the corner : )

Unfortunately although I am a fan of spoons I can't really recommend any of the ones in Blackpool for a bunch of cyclists.

* Have plans to do a circular ride to it sometime.

all the best - may join you folks some year,

Top Bottom