Manchester -> Blackpool ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sh4rkyBloke

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Jessops is, I am reliably informed, on the left as you look at the Town Hall (presumably from Albert Square).

We're meeting at about 7.15am and I've PM'd you my mobile number.

See you there (all being well!).

PsychoRider

Über Member
Just got in from a short ride (16miles 1hour 10 Glossop to Bredbury and back) dreading Sunday lol...legs went a bit jellyfied(made up word?) on some hills and they aren't as big as Sundays. Still no sign replacement gear lever so big ring all the wayxx( but worse yet i still haven't recieved my pack with only two postal days left. Just seen message,will reply soon!

OP
OP
Sh4rkyBloke

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Don't really remember there being any big hills on the ride last year. Out of the park at the rest stop (some hall or other) was a tad steep, and one where I was drafting a passing ambulance in the p*ssing rain... but other than that my rose tinted specs seem to think it was all okay!! (I may regret saying that!).

The pack just contains your number and some bits of paper for sponsorship - I think you should be okay even if it doesn't arrive as you can (IIRC) check in once you get there.

PsychoRider

Über Member
Yeah the one to the park was steep-ish...the other is that long climb on a sort of carriageway but i remember that was not too bad but on a MTB biggest ring is a 44 lol. The finish has moved i see to the South promenade instead of the park.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I've signed up too.

Not setting off till 8.00 am though as I don't fancy getting up any earlier than 6.00 as it is :wacko:

Good luck to the rest of you and might see you in Blackpool for a pint if anyone is interested in meeting up afterwards :eek:

PsychoRider

Über Member
Kestevan said:
I've signed up too.

Not setting off till 8.00 am though as I don't fancy getting up any earlier than 6.00 as it is :thumbsdown:

Good luck to the rest of you and might see you in Blackpool for a pint if anyone is interested in meeting up afterwards :biggrin:
Good on ya Kestevan, you maybe settin off 30mins later but you may catch us up you never know lol...have faith.....good luck for the ride!!
Thanks for the Good Luck message trio....i'm sure we all appreciate it....
Good luck all and a have a good safe ride!!!

RedBike

I was suppost to be doing this; but i've got the dreaded man flu.

Good luck everyone.

OP
OP
Sh4rkyBloke

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Just got back (family came over so we had to go to the beach etc.) - did it in 3hrs 32mins which is (I think) quite respectable... maaaaaan was that sun hot!!!! :angry:

My calves are burnt (and I don't mean I dragged any young cows along with me) but it was very enjoyable.

The finishing sprint was amusing as 3 of us raced - a chap near the end said it was 200 yards to the finish so my mate took off with me hot on his heels... about 200 yards later we realised the chap didn't actually appreciate how far 200 yards is... and the finish line loomed about another 300 away!! Just enough distance for me to take the lead and do a Mark Cavendish type celebration for the watching fans tourists. I managed to avoid the post race interview though in favour of a burger. ;)

PsychoRider

Über Member
Good to meet you Sharkey...shame about my puncturexx( before the start how embarrassing:blush: maybe next time we'll start together eh:becool:
Anyhow i clocked it in 3h47m covering averaging 16mph so i'm pleased with that thought i'd hit the 3.5hour mark but the last few miles started to get to me:angry:...........now to the southport airshow thread lol

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Got lost in Manchester on the way to the start.

Managed to set off only 1/2 late and finished in 3hours 37mins.

Headwind coming down the coast road from Lytham was a bugger, spent the rest of the day picking sand out of my hair.

OP
OP
Sh4rkyBloke

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Likewise Psycho - sorry it was me on the phone to you that caused the lapse in concentration that led to the puncture!! ;):blush:

Glad you enjoyed the ride anyway - as it happens we probably could have waited as my Wife and kids didn't make it to Blackpool in time to see us finish (my eldest was not happy about this!!) but apparently I must do it again next year so she can see me. :biggrin: :biggrin:

DannyP9644

hey, me and a group of friends are doing a bike ride from manchester to london and also, we are going from machester to blackpool for training. however, we dont know what routes we should take. any suggestions for either event would be great.

thanks ;)

Top Bottom