Manchester -> Blackpool ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sammollyrosypads

blackpool bike ride

hi guys and dolls,i am new to this kind of site but not too worried to subscribe because generally cycling people are good people....i will be doing the manchester blackpool bike ride on sunday and would love to invite new friends willing to earn some dough for francis house hospice or just want to enjoy a good day out and have a pint? if you are interested send me a message.....good luck sunday cycling people.p.s the liverpool to chester to liverpool bike ride last sunday was fantastic....i cycle to work and back from hale to cheadle heath daily and love it.....bye for now ..mark:smile:

leeman

hi, new member too, joined to get a heads up on tomorrows blackpool ride. looking forward to it as its my first charity ride, in fact, my first non-solo ride! just starting to wish i wasn't doing it on a hybrid! good luck to everyone taking part, have a good one!

hello

i'v just joined today..Doing the manchester to blackpool ride tomorrow with a few lads from work... team strategic woo hoo:laugh:.
the lads are meeting there partners and families after the ride so have got lifts back to manchester.. i'm toying with the idea of riding back is anybody doing the same or know anybody that might be intrested. biggest ride i'v do in a day is 100mile so would be a challenge and half:laugh:

PaulB

Legendary Member
I didn't want to post anything about this before the event but I think the company that runs this ride are a bunch of rip-off merchants. For the life of me, I cannot see why anyone would want to give them any money. I did once and I very much regret it, as does at least one major charity who felt so badly about the "service" they received from them last year, they've decided not to have anything to do with them again. They (the charity) e-mailed me after last year's event and said they were disgusted with the blatant profiteering of the company and would never deal with them in the future. You pay money and get what exactly in return? On a regular sportive, you'd get at least a number, route card, back-up, directions, refreshments and a time. With this company, you get Scottish Football Association apart from a very cheap certificate at the finish. On the Skipton 100 last year, I heard awful tales of the marshalls packing up once the first riders had gone through; misdiresctions sending people miles off route and one woman who turned up to watch her husband at about the 60 mile mark was informed the last rider had passed and she was packing up! Every penny of the money you pay goes directly to the company and nothing goes to the charity - you have to raise all that yourself. Personoally, I think they are ripping people off and getting rich on the back of our desire to ride bikes. You'd be better off riding with your club or a group of mates than this load of charlatans.

leeman

did the blackpool ride and thought it was pretty good, although, i have to agree that you are probably being a bit ripped off considering the amount of people taking part! searched through the goodie bag (bottle of water, sachet of vimto) looking for a certificate and narrowed it down to an a5 curled up flyer! got nailed down by the prices at the finish line venue too! actual ride great tho apart from a couple of strange people in cars moaning about paying car tax and telling us to get lives!! also my seat morphing into a razor blade about 40 miles in ;)

Slowwheels

Wow, poor PaulB, very bitter. I've done rides organised by a couple of companies and they were both on the same basis, your entry fee is for the organisation and sponsorship is for the charity. Stoppped a bit too long at the rest halts and found the wind at Blackpool hard work, other than that had a great time.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Slowwheels said:
Wow, poor PaulB, very bitter. I've done rides organised by a couple of companies and they were both on the same basis, your entry fee is for the organisation and sponsorship is for the charity. Stoppped a bit too long at the rest halts and found the wind at Blackpool hard work, other than that had a great time.

I don't believe I'm being bitter in asking what they provide for the money (was it £18?) Compare what they give you with what a well-run event like for instance the White Rose provides and it's chalk and cheese. One organiser has the interests of the cycling community at heart and the other has the interests of his bank balance at heart. Don't let me stop you giving him money if that's what you want, I'm just saying I won't be supporting any events that give nothing to cyclists.

OP
OP
Sh4rkyBloke

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
PaulB said:
I don't believe I'm being bitter in asking what they provide for the money (was it £18?) Compare what they give you with what a well-run event like for instance the White Rose provides and it's chalk and cheese. One organiser has the interests of the cycling community at heart and the other has the interests of his bank balance at heart. Don't let me stop you giving him money if that's what you want, I'm just saying I won't be supporting any events that give nothing to cyclists.
I'd actually niaively thought some of the money was going to the Charity!! I raised sponsorship the first time I did the ride, but not for others as I assumed some was for the Charity out of the event fee and it didn't feel right asking for sponsorship for what was just a nice ride out in the countryside (i.e not a huge challenge like a London to Paris for instance).

I'm quite shocked and disappointed. :smile:

Alun

Guru
PaulB said:

I did a few of their rides last year, but now feel the same as Paul. I did the Manchester/Blackpool this year because a few friends were doing it and I had said I would. I think a lot of entrants would think that some of the money is going to charity, certainly that is the impression that is given. I thought that it was dangerous in places due to the numbers and experience of those taking part, I'm surprised there were not more accidents, I felt that passing motorists were pretty considerate overall.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Sh4rkyBloke said:
I'd actually niaively thought some of the money was going to the Charity!! I raised sponsorship the first time I did the ride, but not for others as I assumed some was for the Charity out of the event fee and it didn't feel right asking for sponsorship for what was just a nice ride out in the countryside (i.e not a huge challenge like a London to Paris for instance).

I'm quite shocked and disappointed. :smile:
I feel the same as Paul.

I did the Manchester 100 quite a few times but started to get annoyed with the regular price increases. When I did my first one, it was only about £8 but now it is £16 which seems a lot when you only get water for free at the stops, and event tee-shirts are also extra.

There are marshals on (most of) the 100-odd junctions. That's supposed to be all, but several times marshals were not present and I think they are probably responsible for the signage at 'their' junctions because the signs weren't there either. Result: riders getting lost. I ended up doing an extra 10 miles one year.

Every year I'd get a separate sponsorship form to raise money for the charity/charities. The first few years, I was sponsored by my work mates but getting the money from them afterwards was a right pain so I gave that up.

I don't mind paying for what I get or for what the charity gets. I'm doing the Shakespeare 100 in September and that costs £20, but the organisers promise that they will try to keep their costs down to £2, with £18 going to Macmillan Cancer Support and they are trying to arrange sponsors to supply energy bars and bananas to the riders.

ColinJ

Alun said:
That's more like it! I'd have a go at that if it were nearer.
I was visiting family in the midlands in May and spotted that the Cotswold Challenge was on that Sunday and started from Meriden, not far from where I was staying. I enjoyed that event and quite fancied another ride in the Cotswolds one day, only without the-headwind-from-hell!

I chatted to one of the organisers after the ride and he mentioned the Stratford event in September. Now by coincidence I'm scheduled for another family visit that weekend so I have signed up for that event too. My sister has agreed to ferry me and my bike to and from Stratford and will spend a nice day in Shakespeare country while I am out riding. :smile:

lukea6

I did it, was a reasonable ride. The barriers in haigh hall park were annoying though. We finished in 3:30 so did ok. Wind was bad in Blackpool! It is a bit expensive, maybe I'll look for other organisers in future.

ColinJ

lukea6 said:
I did it, was a reasonable ride. The barriers in haigh hall park were annoying though. We finished in 3:30 so did ok. Wind was bad in Blackpool! It is a bit expensive, maybe I'll look for other organisers in future.
Luke - the best value-for-money events are audaxes. Pop over to the Audax website and you should be able to find something to suit you.

Top Bottom