Manchester - Llandudno 2016 : Saturday April 23...for Harry, England and St George

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I can't believe you actually fell for that "breeze not wind" line. It was my bait to make sure you were on the ride....then it was too late for you all

You're right about the pleasure of almost freewheeling at 20mph this morning. We got shouted at by a dog walker for "cycling too fast". It was a proud moment for me

I actually achieved 19mph yesterday afternoon along there after saying goodbye at the BikeHub. For <u>me</u> that is fast!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You should have shouted up @fossyant . I was the guy in the helmet who stared at you as we went past as I wanted a good look at the MTBer who so nonchalantly kept us at bay for 5 miles. Once a racing snake.............

Those 2.4's.. good god, full suspension they are on a rigid old skool bike...

Sorry mate... I'm at rock bottom for me with riding. I won't go near much of a road, never mind use a road bike. My legs might work, but my back is still like glass (it's not according to the physio). My fixed is still at my folks - now't much up with it other than a big scratch on the carbon forks.

My wife and kids are still in bits (or my wife is) - going to take my lad on the pump park at Marsh Tracks at Rhyl - it's about 1km of flat track with berms and stuff...

I wasn't expecting any of you there at that time, just a roll for me early - choice was veg, or do something...

wanda2010

Guru
That was a ride! Great to have done it in such good weather (discounting the 'hurricane' wind that did its best to blow me onto pavements). The first time using a navigation aid and it was useful to get us a few yards short of the Eureka cafe, whereby the battery died. Changing to another phone upset my navigation lady cos she threw a hissy fit and refused to come out to play hence our Prestatyn diversion. Let it be known that I still hate hills/inclines/whatever you want to call them :cry:

Whilst I'm sad I didn't make it to the chippy, I have a cunning plan for next year which involves a train and (should) guarantee early arrival for the chippy :okay:
My grateful thanks to Mr/Mrs Doughnut for taking my pannier and dropping it off at the hotel for me :notworthy:

Great company last night, even if I did nod off at the table a number of times before heading to bed. A toast was drunk to Vernon. We had no pies though.

After a lovely breakfast, in good company (those sausages really were dire but the Guinness was lush, as always), I set off in plenty of time to get to the station. I discovered the Google maps coastal route is good if you are riding a fatbike. Sand and loose stones are not great for skinny tyres so I had to retrace my steps. Navigation lady threw another hissy fit and wouldn't lock onto route two until she was certain I had missed my prearranged train. Then she was all smiles and graciously allowed me to follow route two to the station :angry::rolleyes:. I was only an hour later getting home but I could have done without spending the extra money.

Thanks to everyone for the chatter, company, laughs, food and drink. Cycling with a group really is a great experience and I look forward to next year :hello:

Nickyboy, thanks for organising. Good job :okay::okay:

Last edited:
Those 2.4's.. good god, full suspension they are on a rigid old skool bike..
That reminds me. I nearly came a cropper on the sand in Rhyl. Moments inattention and the front wheel snaked away on some deep sand. I wouldn't have even noticed it on 2.4's

Sitting outside the Bike Hub and some poor bloke had a clipless moment right in front of me. I wanted to smile in sympathy, in a kind of, we've all been there, way but feared he'd mistake it for a smirk, so just looked away and pretended I hadn't seen it.

mythste

Veteran
That reminds me. I nearly came a cropper on the sand in Rhyl. Moments inattention and the front wheel snaked away on some deep sand.

I'll bet we all did. And I bet it was the same bit and I'll bet we all hit it at about 25 miles an hour! Heart out my hoop moment that. I'd always thought that if you hit anything fast enough you'll glide over it. Little did I know! :laugh:

Back home at last, and my feet are finally thawing out! Nice to see both old faces and new.

@nickyboy, take it from me you don't want to cycle home! Take the train, you'll thank yourself later.

Off to bed now. I may be some time....
And I nearly forgot: Add another 'insane' to your signature.

And put the memory card back in your Garmin!

mike3121

I still cant believe I made it to the end, the end being Travelodge not the chippy.
I remember reading on here there was going to be a northerly wind which would aid us riding the flat route, that was a lie, headwind all the way. There was the odd occasion I felt like giving up, but for some silly reason I carried on to the end.
Great night in the pub with great people, great laugh. But next time maybe not in a pub were the toilets are not up 3 flights of stairs!
Looking forward to next year

Well done @nickyboy for all the effort you put in organising the ride

Top Bottom