Manchester - Llandudno Saturday 18 May 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We are 90% likely to be down at the caravan in Gronant this weekend. If anyone has problems (mechanical or hang over) on Sunday, post here. We may be down either with the Team Car (4 bike rack) or the Squashi (no rack) - can try and get you back to Manchester. I will post here if we are at the van tomorrow.

Skolly and Nic knows where we are !!!

Road bikes aren't a problem in the Squashi, flippin MTB's are huge, so go on the Team Car.

Last edited:

Wobblers

Euthermic
I would just like to say, I was never in it, despite Nick's best efforts. I would also like to say.........I've never been on a dry Nickyboy ride, raingear essential. Whatever the weather, it'll be ace as usual.

I'm sorry I'm missing this year, I'm probably only a couple of weeks short of fitness. I shall think of you all as I sip my coffee and stare at the rain running down the window pane.

I thought it was only the first year it rained? That was the last time that @I like Skol was on this. This time, Skolly's back and there's a chance of rain. Coincidence? I think not....

Anyway, you'll be missed (and yes, I am getting soppily sentimental in my dotage).

Wobblers

Euthermic
Well I'll have to spend tonight cleaning the bike then.... Its currently wet through, and covered in a mixture of. Mud and Sand.
Gotta clean the bike tonight then - it's a bit manky - off roading between sites does that unfortunately :blush:

Good grief, it's only @nickyboy we're talking about. Tell him to sod off - or at least threaten to not buy him a pint. :smile:

I'm with Skolly on this:
That's decided it then, I will come on the commuter, and lean it against your bike whenever I get a chance so that some of the dirt can rub off ....

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Good grief, it's only @nickyboy we're talking about. Tell him to sod off - or at least threaten to not buy him a pint. :smile:

I'm with Skolly on this:

Yeah, but I do have some standards.... I can't be seen sinking to skollys level.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was worried about tomorrow's drivetrain inspection so I spray-lubed my chain and wiped it down this afternoon before cycling to the shops. That involves me doing a short descent, on which a car pulled out on me. I didn't need panic braking so I just lightly applied the rear brake but suddenly the bike started fishtailing. :eek:

It turned out that I had also lubed part of my rear tyre which happened to be the part touching the road when I braked... :whistle:

I very nearly made a stupid mistake when putting the GPX files on my Garmin Etrex. It is an ancient device which has a limit of 500 points per track. If I load a track which exceeds that limit it silently throws away extra points until it gets the number down to 500, often by randomly deleting important turns. The files had over 3,000 points each so more than 5/6 of each file would have been missing when I came to do the ride. I suspect that might have made my navigation slightly less reliable than usual ... :laugh: Anyway, I set GPSBabel to simplify the files with a 500 point filter and they are now on the Etrex, ready to use, with backups on my phone.

REMINDER - does anybody doing the ride want a free iPhone X case (see earlier in the thread)? I'll check below to see if anybody says 'yes' before I leave in the morning.

si_c

Guru
I've cleaned the bike, lubed the chain, tweaked the barrel adjuster and limit screws (trying to avoid a repeat of last year where I overshifted at the back and got the chain stuck between the sprockets - instant off meant I nearly landed on @wanda2010). Nutrition for the ride is next on the list, charging the Garmins at the moment.

Just finished mapping the routes out GPX wise - I don't like RWGPS as it doesn't seem to route properly - and I've split it into 2 halves. (Part 1, Part 2 and alternate Part 2).

Bed soon.

Top Bottom