Manchester - Llandudno Saturday 18 May 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

doughnut

Veteran
I'd better look in the garage to see if the bike is still there. Not used it since Feb 2018 - once its outside I think the dust will blow off and leave it sparkling.

I'll be taking it easy on the sandy/treacherous bit. My arm was in 2 bits just 6 months ago, so if I go over then its likely that someone will literally need to pick up the pieces.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I'd better look in the garage to see if the bike is still there. Not used it since Feb 2018 - once its outside I think the dust will blow off and leave it sparkling.

I'll be taking it easy on the sandy/treacherous bit. My arm was in 2 bits just 6 months ago, so if I go over then its likely that someone will literally need to pick up the pieces.

That stretch just after Bike Hub Rhyl is always the worst for sand. In the first year it was really deep and I offered to have first go at riding through it. I promptly fell off (albeit at about 2mph). Sand all over the gears and chain. My bike make a horrible grating sound all the way to Llandudno after that. I seem to remember putting it in the shower at the Travelodge to try to get the worst of it off. It was a brand new room, I was their first occupant. I doubt they were very impresed

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
A word on pace.............

For the stretch Manchester - Weaverham we all stay together as a group. I say this every year and every year people disappear off the front and leave the slower riders behind

Please don't do that

There is plenty of opportunity to ride faster if you want to later when we tend to split into smaller groups. But let's make this a true group ride at least to Weaverham. So anyone at the front MUST be keeping an eye out for slower riders

The only exception is if someone has a mechanical. If that happens and they aren't too confident fixing, say, their puncture, a couple of experienced riders will help them out and ride with them to the next stop. We don't all stop and wait

Adam4868

Guru
A word on pace.............

For the stretch Manchester - Weaverham we all stay together as a group. I say this every year and every year people disappear off the front and leave the slower riders behind

Please don't do that

There is plenty of opportunity to ride faster if you want to later when we tend to split into smaller groups. But let's make this a true group ride at least to Weaverham. So anyone at the front MUST be keeping an eye out for slower riders

The only exception is if someone has a mechanical. If that happens and they aren't too confident fixing, say, their puncture, a couple of experienced riders will help them out and ride with them to the next stop. We don't all stop and wait
Thank feck...I can get lost just getting home.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Phew, scorchio! :sun:

I have been working outside all day and may have caught the sun slightly... :blush: At least the decking is all oiled and my car has new rear brake discs. Suppose I had better start thinking about getting stuff ready for tomorrow, and I still 'have' to go into Manchester tonight and meet some of you guys for a well earned beer (would like one now actually but the house is dry!). It's all go some times.

At least the weather forecast has improved slightly, it's a toss of a coin on which bike I will use, the commuter tank or my best summer jobbie? Decisions......

si_c

Guru
Phew, scorchio! :sun:

I have been working outside all day and may have caught the sun slightly... :blush: At least the decking is all oiled and my car has new rear brake discs. Suppose I had better start thinking about getting stuff ready for tomorrow, and I still 'have' to go into Manchester tonight and meet some of you guys for a well earned beer (would like one now actually but the house is dry!). It's all go some times.

At least the weather forecast has improved slightly, it's a toss of a coin on which bike I will use, the commuter tank or my best summer jobbie? Decisions......

I'm on the commuter... it is my best bike.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I will be at the back then :eek:
I didn't mean that we will average that kind of speed, more that I chose my gear ratio to be ideal in that range.

I can't really pedal the s/s for long at more than about 35 kmph (22 mph) because my cadence is too high for comfort. That isn't much of a problem though because I would only be doing that speed downhill and can always freewheel.

Below 24 kmph (15 mph), I would simply be pedalling a lower cadence than I prefer. It is only a real problem on hills steeper than about 6% because then I practically grind to a halt and have to stand up to get the cranks round. There are one or two short hills on the route to Eureka where I have to do that!

Moodyman

Legendary Member
A couple of questions from me:

Will I need my passport once we cross the border?

How about language issues? Will some of the Welsh locals understand English at the coffee shop/bakery?

Last edited:

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Right... Just got home.

Which one of you ordered the "extra strong tailwind" for tomorrow? Cos whoever it was cocked up and had it delivered a day early. 120 sodding miles into the teeth of a gale (that's my story and I'm sticking with it).

Now normally, I'd blame @Crackle but he's in the clear this year..... So come on own up, whoever you are, you owe me a beer tomorrow

Top Bottom