manchester ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Chapel to Buxton - Snake or A6 - both just a long drag, not steep.

Langsett Strines is pretty tough - there are 3 big dips with rather steep climbs on both sides, but the way proposed is slightly steeper. I went over there a few weeks back. Langsett to Stines - less steep climbs out of the 'dips' but more long drags....Strines to Langsett - fewer drags, but the third dip has a hell of a nasty climb out of it - easily 1 in 4 in places and it's a good length with a couple of hairpins... should be fun...

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
fossyant said:
Chapel to Buxton - Snake or A6
Ooops - neither. It's actually the A5004 from Whaley Bridge (not Chapel) to Buxton... appropriately called Long Hill. :rolleyes:

It goes through Fernilee and has it's own write up here (but this covers the route in reverse from the Buxton end).

Fair near killed me, that road!! :o)

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Trying to look at the proposed route (probably more for a laugh by the sounds of it!) but can't fathom it.

Stalybridge - check
Glossop - check
Snake - check
Ladybower - check
Strines - nope, where's that?

what sort of distance is all this too?

Chris James

Über Member
If you are looking at a map then it is the road between Ashopton going North to Midhopestones. It is a B road that skirts the moor. Basically you go past the end of the Ladybower towards Sheffield, up a bit of a hill and then turn north (left). It is a nice run but crosses some steep sided valleys.

fossyant

Doh - meant Long Hill - nope that's just a drag - not steep - Have you found Strines on the map - near Ladybower - just off A57 is a road that takes you all the way over to Langsett - near Woodhead pass !

It's probably pushing 50 miles - it's 57 from my home in Bredbury (Stockport) return !

fossyant

The strines road is a toughy - lots of steep climbs, then when you feel chuffed you've got to the top, you've gone down another valley, only to have to get out of it again.

It's a good ride, it's not a race and folk normally re-group at the top of a climb anyway. If you can do 50 miles ride, you'll survive this !

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Don't really do routes that long as I have 2 kids who generally take up weekends.

I have, however, done the Manchester 100 (Km) in 2006 (along with cycling to and from Wythenshawe park making it just under 80 miles) and the Manchester to Blackpool (2007) rides and will be doing the latter again this year.

Not too many hills on those though. Gentle inclines by your description! :biggrin:

I'm actually unsure whether I'm available on that date anyway, but I will check on the off chance.

PsychoRider

Über Member
seems we have a few of us all quite close to each other how about a ride into cheshire,TT areas such as joddrell bank,holmes chapel etc, keeping it relatively flat,plenty of cafes, chance to get out and meet new riders??? just a suggestion...........

Smeggers

PsychoRider said:
seems we have a few of us all quite close to each other how about a ride into cheshire,TT areas such as joddrell bank,holmes chapel etc, keeping it relatively flat,plenty of cafes, chance to get out and meet new riders??? just a suggestion...........
Id be up for that - plus living in Cheshire in offers me a bail out option! :angry:

PsychoRider

Über Member
Cool, i don't want to mess the original thread up so......i'm free any Sunday, so if anyone wants to make the leap and suggest a meeting place and time,we'll take it from there,Stockport or Stalybridge would be good for me

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
PsychoRider said:

I could be up for part of that - I normally do a 20-30 mile circuit around Crewe Green/Hassall Green & Sandbach on Sunday - if I can meet the forum ride at some point, and leave it before I expire...

Smeggers

John the Monkey said:
I could be up for part of that - I normally do a 20-30 mile circuit around Crewe Green/Hassall Green & Sandbach on Sunday - if I can meet the forum ride at some point, and leave it before I expire...
hehe - swap the word Crewe to Congleton and thats me too!!!!!!

Top Bottom