1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

manchester ride

Discussion in 'CycleChat and Recreational Rides' started by dan_bo, 28 May 2008.

1. dan_bo

dan_bo How much does it cost to Oldham?

I think it's about time the CCCC (M+OD) got its act together for another hilly job. Longers, fossy, nighttrain-anyone else up for it?

how's about a crack at strines in a couple of weeks time?

2. longers

longers Veteran

Yes please :ohmy:.

Details to be confirmed?

3. dan_bo

yeah. I wuz thinking 2-3 weeks time, early(ish) jib from motty cut. although me an you can ride out from over here innit.

4. longers

longers Veteran

Sounds good to me. I'll keep an eye out on here.

I haven't been out on my quickest bike since we went out :sad:.

Yes I have ;)

5. Night Train

Night Train Guest

Hills? Me? [Faints at the thought]

Something on the level I think and I am working weekends now too. I'll see if I am up for it nearer the time.

6. trio25

trio25 Über Member

I'll keep an eye on the thread and if I'm free I might come and join you.

7. longers

longers Veteran

Shall we pick a date? How about 8th June?
    I'm thinking of doing the Wheels for Wildlife ride on the 15th so next date available is the weekend after that, the 22nd?

How about the 22nd?

Not the 22nd - just found out I'm already committed to another ride.

Weekend after? 29th?

8. dan_bo

29th. you're on.

9. Sh4rkyBloke

Sh4rkyBloke Jaffa Cake monster

Hmmmm - tempted.

I'll see if the Wife can manage the nippers on her own and try to make it myself.

Any particular route / speed / cafes?

Hill climbing is a f*cking bitch not my forte, but it may be better in a group... moral support and all that (or is it fear of failure and abject humiliation?) ;)

10. dan_bo

I was thinking stalybridge-glossop-snake-ladybower-strines-woodhead-stalybridge type route.

cafes? dunno. I think there's one on the 616 towards the top of the woodhead.

Don't worry about the hills, i'm built for comfort meself.

11. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Just spotted this - 29th is a no-no - daughters birthday party and I'm returning from Beavers/Scout camp that morning...bugger.

The cafe on the A616 will be a mobile thing, and may not be there, or it might.....

Strines from Ladybower....the last 1/4 is a bit 'orrible. Did it with a 39 x 21 heading in Ladybower direction - hmm 23 for t'other way.

12. longers

longers Veteran

Shame you can't make it Fossy.

There is a cafe at Torside on the Woodhead Rd to Glossop which would be a good route for avoiding riding along the WH Pass.

13. Chris James

Chris James Über Member

Ho, ho, ho. And climbing isn't your forte Sh4rkyBloke. I hope you have some low gears!

14. Sh4rkyBloke

Errm, only have a double that was standard on my Spesh Allez... am I right in thinking that I'd require a trailer to tow the necessary Defibrilator with me??

15. Sh4rkyBloke

The worst hill I've attempted was the between Chapel-en-le-Frith and Buxton (goes up above the Goyt Valley) which seemed to be 106,400 miles long and about a 1 in 2 gradient on a blazing hot day going from Manchester to Derby... does this compare with the hills on the run you're talking about? I had to get off about 4 times going up there!