Manchester to Blackpool Night Ride 29-30th September 2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

craven2354

Err...that would be me :whistle:

Im 6th at the moment I imagine I will slip down the rankings as people upload there rides :smile:

400bhp

Guru
Great effort!! I saw some signs up around Wardley yesterday warning drivers about you lot (night cyclists:thumbsup:).

Did Sportmonkey sprint off with a couple of miles to go?:whistle::laugh:

I did 3hours 18n mins which I was pretty happy with. First time in aboit 20 years I have done over 30 miles, I was hoping to do it in less than 4 hours so I am a happy bunny. Hope to do less than 3 hours next year as I will have a years training under my belt!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Now I've had a bit of sleep, I'd better do a write-up:

We'd arranged to meet at the 1st floor of Selfridges, only I couldn't find a way up apart from a non-functioning escalator. Another rider was there (Craven2354) so we waited - we had 9 CC riders in total at the start. The weather was dry, with little wind, which was great.

We got out in the 7th group of 40 so there were approx. 240 riders ahead with the first ones having a 14 minute head start. The first few miles were mainly passing a number of slower MTB riders at a decent, if not quick, pace. Then the pace seemed to pick up and there was a group of 4 CC-ers in the front group (SportMonkey, myself, Craven2354 & SquareDaff). We seemed to pass a lot of people and SportMonkey upped the pace. Or at least I blame him even though he was on single speed :thumbsup:

After about 90 minutes it was evident we were near the front, which was confirmed when a marshal said there were about 10 ahead. Slowly but surely we kept passing people, who tried to draft us but failed ^_^, until we hit the seafront. There I think the sea air got to my head and I spotted a couple of people in the distance, so off I shot after them :blush: . SportMonkey was slowing a little - mind you, on single speed I wasn't surprised. Craven2354 and SquareDaff had caught back up as well.

Did Sportmonkey sprint off with a couple of miles to go?:whistle::laugh:
- nope. That was me this time, with about 9 miles to go. Mind you, if he'd been on a geared bike ....... :whistle:
That was a chase, particularly when they saw me coming. :bicycle: We hit the seafront lights and were flying, the distance slowly shrinking - 28-30mph on Blackpool seafront! I passed them with about a mile to go, with a "hello boys". They were more than a bit disappointed to have been caught (we also passed them on the way back :tongue: ). I then saw 3 riders up ahead but couldn't catch them with a mile to go. So, 4th back but seemingly the quickest time so far and arrived at 2.55am. Drizzle had started by now.

The BHF ladies at the finish were shocked at seeing bikes - they weren't expecting the first riders until 3.30am.

We waited in McDonalds and picked up Markymark and Middleagedcyclist - with 5 of us riding back (SquareDaff sensibly had his wife pick him up). The revellers did think we were either odd/heroes/lunatics (take your pick) but at least our lycra didn't stand out. The bikes were safe outside as well - they were more interested in burgers and fries. Along the seafront it was hard, with a tough headwind. We pretty much all needed to take a turn. The rain then set in and Middleagedcyclist left us for his own route back. I'm grateful to SportMonkey for directions, even if they were a bit round-a-bout since I hadn't a clue where I was going. In fact, I'd probably still be there. We saw a few riders doing at least part of the route back, but not a huge number. Also, there were a few riders still en route to Blackpool when we were halfway back :eek:

We got back to the Trafford Centre at around 7.30am, coming back in 3 hours 49 - and thanks to Krispy Kreme for free coffee and doughnuts. :tongue:

All in all, a good night. Hopefully all the CC-ers made it back OK and hope to see you again.

Nice write up.
We waited in McDonalds and picked up Markymark and Middleagedcyclist...
I caught up with you tearaways on the finish line 12 mins after you got in. What happened to: 'Let's have a comfortable ride and aim for 3hrs 30 mins' eh? :thumbsup:

I had a good ride home alone after dropping off the back at Adlington. I needed a hot drink and chance to ring the water out of my jersey and gloves. It had stopped raining by the time I set off 20 mins later so i was quite happy!

All in all, a good night. Hopefully all the CC-ers made it back OK and hope to see you again.

Here's to next year?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Nice write up.
I caught up with you tearaways on the finish line 12 mins after you got in. What happened to: 'Let's have a comfortable ride and aim for 3hrs 30 mins' eh? :thumbsup:

I blame Ed. But then I'm probably as guilty. After about 10 miles he had the look of "I want to be the first single speed to finish" and I sort of went along with it, so mea culpa :blush:

Here's to next year?

It'd be good to have a turnout of 20-30 all in CC jerseys. ;)

Gez73

Veteran
A great night had by all. Totally stoked with my own time so all good. Well done to all you early finishers. The Announcer did say that they hadn't expected anyone before 3:30 so very well done there. Great to put faces to names and meet you all. Good luck for your Etape DCLane!
Gez

OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
I was surprised by the average speed I managed. 19.3mph. When I've been training I've been averaging around 16mph. Seeing all those red lights in front of me must have just lit the competitive demon inside :evil: .

Just want to say a big thanks for the welcome I got from you all on my first (and hopefully not last) outing with all of you. Enjoyed every second of it and the time just flew by. As for the pace - I think I was as guilty of increasing it as anyone. Just saw you lot slowing very slightly after bursts of speed and figured you wanted me to take my turn at the front to keep the momentum going.

Also thanks to Ryan who I was pretty much shadowing all the way there. We should now be called the "Carrera Twins" ^_^. I'm definately the Danny DeVito while he's the taller, leaner Arnie lol

Thanks again everyone!

OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
Manc-to-Black12-small.jpg

Me at the finish - before the heavens opened.

Top Bottom