Manchester to Blackpool return transport options

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
You don't need to be that fit. Take your time, stop somewhere to have a break and eat and you'll be fine. You may only need to cycle to somewhere where you can get the train if you don't want to cycle it all.
How?
First TPE have a no bike policy and Northern have strike action, on the day.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
That's what I was going to suggest ... :okay:

When I did it in 2004, I rode to Manchester from Hebden Bridge (25 miles), then rode Manchester-Blackpool (~60 miles) and finally rode home (53 miles). It was a pretty tiring 138 mile day and one of my longest rides ever.
Similar here, home to Manchester to Blackpool then back home via Longbridge, Accrington and Rochdale (I fancied some hills!) to make it 136 miles. My biggest ride ever at that time in 2012 and not beaten until I did a 185 mile ride in 2016.
Riding back is do-able but not something to be taken on lightly because a 120 mile ride is a fair old distance for anyone.

classic33

Leg End Member
Eh? They allow bikes free of charge. Took bike on them many times.
Number of people doing the ride maybe. It's already been said by others, Northern have industrial action on the day.

They(First TPE) are introducing a "No Bikes" policy soon anyway.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Number of people doing the ride maybe. It's already been said by others, Northern have industrial action on the day.

They(First TPE) are introducing a "No Bikes" policy soon anyway.

Hence why you ride elsewhere then get train rest of the way, as I suggested. Future tense is not present tense as you stated.

classic33

Leg End Member
Hence why you ride elsewhere then get train rest of the way, as I suggested. Future tense is not present tense as you stated.
First TPE will have a "No Bikes" policy on the day of the ride.
Northern have strike action on the day, so fewer services running, and still the two per train limit rule in place.

Limited options really, trainwise . Future tense as it's only Friday, today.

OP
OP
tomplodder

tomplodder

Über Member
Just an update,
I drove up from Manchester on Saturday to St Annes on sea, left van parked in residential street, got train back home from St Annes station then did the ride on Sunday and afterwards I put bike in van and drove home.
A bit of inconvenience, but was well worth it because I had such a fantastic day on Sunday and as usual the ride was a great experience

Top Bottom