Manchester to Blackpool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
Just been reading the website page .The only mention about food is a BBQ at the finish .

On the great Yorkshire Bike Ride .The team have stoppimg points along the route .Where drinks are provided free.Quite a few of them actually .

Halfway they provide warm food as in a pasta meal ,fruit ,choc,biccies and warm drinks and cool drinks .

Many of the cyclists also use local shops on rote and many the local pubs do a great trade .

If your landlord JUST happens to have a stall in his carpark .He may find it well supported .

And many will thank him for it.

And you are doing it for charity .

You could let the organisers know of your plan .

But as someone who arranged charity bike rides for 10 years .I would use your refreshments .

potsy

Rambler
On the official bumph that came in the pack it says there are refreshment stops at regular intervals where you can buy food and drink or fill up your water bottles and use the facilities.
Looking forward to it now,fingers crossed for some decent weather:smile:

jamesxyz

doing it with 3 workmates. Have alredy signed up and intend to cycle back. Didn't realise it was going to be soooo busy:ohmy:

ilve done afew other bike-events orginsed rides and there is no free food stops as in other sportives / charity rides so you have to buy. I did sheffield 100 the other week and the 'food stops' were just cafes / pubs! And many werenlt open on sunday morning!

i just take my own supply of bars / gels ... But with regard to ur fundraising if it's well sign postted and on the route with the band playing ... Who can stop you?

I'm being roped into doing it...would be doing it for a local hospice, so they are providing the transport from Preston there and back -just need to make my mind up fairly quickly (and after 2 years of Amsterdame, I'm not sure if I can face raising money yet again :biggrin:)

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Looks like I am going to do this. Friend has asked me to do it with him and his firm, they haven't cycled for 10 years and will be on mtb's. I have told them to get some slick tyres and start training but I don't know how they will manage. Not sure if it would be very bad form to go at my own pace and see them at the end I am going to be on my road bike and don't fancy crawling along at 10mph for six hours, might have to discuss it with them before we set off.:biggrin:

A friend's mum did it a few years ago, no training, old heavy bike and she's in her sixties - she managed it.

As for mountain bikes, if I do it, it will be on the mtb - admittedly it's got slick tyres, but I've done a hundred miler on it and it got me to Amsterdam and back twice, so the mtb's are not necessarily a problem....

Globalti

Legendary Member
Last year we got into a few chain gangs, which helped us along for a few miles but I don't remember seeing any MTBs on road tyres amongst them. I don't think anyhting can match the efficiency of a road bike on 23mm tyres.

Suppose it depends on what you are after - I know I can do long distances on the mtb, but still getting used to the road bike. I'm not after setting a speed record, but I can keep up an average of about 15mph on the mountain bike for that distance, which I'm perfectly happy with and at least I know I'll be comfortable!!! Road bikes might be more suited for the ride, but all I was saying is it's perfectly doable on a mtb.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I had contemplated doing it on my old rigid MTB but as Globalti says there is little that can match the efficiency of a road bike. No problem with doing it on an MTB just if you are on a road bike it is quicker for obvious reasons. I was out cycling the day of the Manchester 100 last year and there were as many MTBs as road bikes on the road.

Hacienda71 said:
I had contemplated doing it on my old rigid MTB but as Globalti says there is little that can match the efficiency of a road bike. No problem with doing it on an MTB just if you are on a road bike it is quicker for obvious reasons. I was out cycling the day of the Manchester 100 last year and there were as many MTBs as road bikes on the road.

Thing is, if your mates are doing it on mtb's, you might be better of taking yours too - you might not have to wait for them that long! :ohmy:

potsy

Rambler
punkypossum said:
I'm being roped into doing it...would be doing it for a local hospice, so they are providing the transport from Preston there and back -just need to make my mind up fairly quickly (and after 2 years of Amsterdame, I'm not sure if I can face raising money yet again :sad:)
Will you be wearing some cc gear? I'll be watching for any sign of fellow cc'ers on route:smile:
I'm doing it as an experience more than anything,there's now about 8 from work altogether 1'fast' group and us normo's.

potsy said:
Will you be wearing some cc gear? I'll be watching for any sign of fellow cc'ers on route:smile:
I'm doing it as an experience more than anything,there's now about 8 from work altogether 1'fast' group and us normo's.

Well, the forms are in the post to me, so looks like I'll be doing it - my cc jersey is way past the point of being worn in public, it's more yellow than white and features some interesting stains... Will probably be wearing my red and yellow garstang club shirt, on a silver trek mtb with a cat sitting on the stem, so if you spot me, give me a shout! :sad:

potsy

Rambler
punkypossum said:
Well, the forms are in the post to me, so looks like I'll be doing it - my cc jersey is way past the point of being worn in public, it's more yellow than white and features some interesting stains... Will probably be wearing my red and yellow garstang club shirt, on a silver trek mtb with a cat sitting on the stem, so if you spot me, give me a shout! :evil:
Nice one pp will keep an eye out:smile: I'll be on a white Secteur wearing something blue,maybe a (whisper it) football shirt:blush:

potsy said:
Nice one pp will keep an eye out:smile: I'll be on a white Secteur wearing something blue,maybe a (whisper it) football shirt:blush:

Come to think about, I might have to wear a St Catherine's T-shirt, so you'll just have to look out for that and a silver trek with a cat!!

Top Bottom