Manchester to Blackpool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
I'm doing it - going for a 6:30 am start with a couple of people from work.

I'd like to cycle back but they're not up for it:sad:. Probably meet the missus and little tinker in Blckpool/Lytham and spend a couple of hours there.

lanternerouge

Veteran
I want to do this one too ;)

potsy

Rambler
400bhp said:
I'm doing it - going for a 6:30 am start with a couple of people from work.

I'd like to cycle back but they're not up for it:sad:. Probably meet the missus and little tinker in Blckpool/Lytham and spend a couple of hours there.
1 or 2 of our group have mentioned riding back too,long way though if you've not done that kind of mileage before.
Think I'll be struggling with the 65 miles or so for the 1 way,not done any long rides this year at all except my normal 20 mile a day commutes,mates dad is meeting us there in the van and bringing us back.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
20 miles a day is perfect....you'll be fine !!!! Lots of weekend warriors you know on these rides...and beginners, but you'll be surprised at the sorts of exotica you pass......

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Kestevan said:
It starts outside Old Trafford stadium.
It finishes at the Mirrorball at the south shore (just south of the pleasure beach) on the front at Blackpool.

Nice ride - mainly quiet roads except at 1 or 2 points where you are on busy main carriageways; and watch the section through Haigh Hall country park. It's steep, badly surfaced and not best suited to road bikes. There were a couple of nasty falls there last year.

there always are, nice bright open lawns into stygian darkness in an instant. a few years ago (Schumacher broke his leg at the British GP same day) it was gloriously sunny and they chicained the total darkness with hay bales and didn't warn anyone. Carnage

Hmmm...if it finishes at the glitter ball, I might ride home from there rather than relying on the transport provided...see how I feel on the day and what the weather has got to say for itself....

potsy

Rambler
skudupnorth said:
Now i'm tempted,who do you book with ?
Did mine here-
http://www.bike-events.com/Ride.aspx?id=225

PaulB

Legendary Member
potsy said:

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH! Don't give them robbing baskets any money. Turn up, ride to the finish and refuse to give them the toll they are (I think illegally) charging. They've no right to charge you to ride on that route just because they are ripping the gullible off by 'organising' something over that same route, coincidentally, on that same day you happen to want to ride it. You get NOTHING for the entry rip-offfee anyway. Don't pay these charlatans.

jamesxyz

mmm, I though Scrooge only appeared at Xmas ...:smile:

what about the marshalls, signposting etc - I hate having to stop all the time to check a map. There's also mechanical support (should you need it), quicker access to medical services as they're 'on hand' - a rider I was with brole a collar bone last year in th middle of nowhere, and the marshalls (one of whom happened to be a paramedic) quickly organised ambulance for rider and transport for bike ...

You're right, they can't legally charge you to ride a route on public roads, but you're paying for the organisation, not the use of roads ...

PaulB

Legendary Member
jamesxyz said:
You're right, they can't legally charge you to ride a route on public roads, but you're paying for the organisation, not the use of roads ...

But since you get absolutely NO organisation, don't pay them. I stand by that; I've never come across a worse, more grabbing, charge-money-give-nothing-back 'sporting' company in my life. They are AWFUL!

peteoc

Hi,

This is my first post and I'm doing the Manchester to Blackpool ride and I've also registered via Bike-Events.

I also did the Manchester to Liverpool ride and I'd say that registering through bike-events was worth while. I don't see them robbing money and the fact that they publicly make it known that all money goes towards the organising the event and anything extra goes to the charity of the event.

I'm not affiliated with bike-events but I'd thought I'd stick my opinion in as a newbie :laugh:

Hi all

Me and the missus are planning on doing this, as a sort of goal to get on our bikes after work and get fit, and for the feeling of passing that finish line at the end!

I havn't put our names down with "Bike events" yet as we are waiting till the last minute, in case we chicken out!
Does anyone just turn up on the day and sort your entry fee then?

Cheers

Top Bottom