Manchester Velo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

forty-two

Well I've really gone and done it now. I have booked a 'taster' session on the 25 Nov. on the boards. Any advice welcome:wacko:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
No advice, but I'd be very interested to hear what you think of it. I keep nearly booking one, and then thinking better of it.

NickM

Veteran
I've ridden Newport, which is built to the same spec. My tip is: don't steer. The banking will take you round the ends of the track as though you were riding on an endless straight road. Just keep your speed up so you don't drift down...

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Advice:

1. PLF at all times. Those who hesitate are lost.

2. The transverse gradient of the banking is constant. If your bike is 'sticking' to the boards one foot up the banking there is no reason why you won't stick at the top of the banking. The steepness at any given point is the same all the way up. It just doesn't seem that way.

3. If the kids from the local club (Eastway Wheelers?) are there in the session before you, don't be intimidated by 10 year olds riding round side by side with no hands while chatting to each other in the warm down. They started when they were six.

4. Make sure you have a couple of bottles of energy drink with you and leave them just inside the rails where you stop after each session. It's thirsty work zooming round.

5. Listen to the coach and ignore all other advice.

trio25

Über Member
It's great fun, you'll love it!!

I did a taster on sunday and even though I was scared stiff had a fab time. Hoping to go again soon.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
John the Monkey said:
No advice, but I'd be very interested to hear what you think of it. I keep nearly booking one, and then thinking better of it.
Lol - I mentioned it to my Wife last night as a 'stocking filler type Xmas pressie'... she proceeded to remind me of all the things I've had through the year that I say 'call it an early Chrimble/Birthday present', but did agree it sounded like something she might do (maybe as a pressie from my Daughters).

I know you're in Manchester, John (you even work at the same place as me - you have no secrets!! :biggrin:), maybe we can organise a joint trip to reduce the scariness. ;)

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
John the Monkey said:
Lol - I mentioned it to my Wife last night as a 'stocking filler type Xmas pressie'... she proceeded to remind me of all the things I've had through the year that I say 'call it an early Chrimble/Birthday present', but did agree it sounded like something she might do (maybe as a pressie from my Daughters).

I know you're in Manchester, John (you even work at the same place as me - you have no secrets!! :tongue:), maybe we can organise a joint trip to reduce the scariness. :blush:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
it's a great experience. cue comedy moment from a club member who managed to try to grab the rails at the top of the track!

it is knackering, and you realise how much of that wind that bedevils your outside rides is generated by yourself ;)

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
it's a great experience. cue comedy moment from a club member who managed to try to grab the rails at the top of the track!

it is knackering, and you realise how much of that wind that bedevils your outside rides is generated by yourself :blush:

SamNichols

Sh4rkyBloke said:

I know you're in Manchester, John (you even work at the same place as me - you have no secrets!! :biggrin:), maybe we can organise a joint trip to reduce the scariness. ;)

I'm in Manchester too, so if you want a joint trip then I can come too, been meaning to go for a while now. It's only £9, plus £3 shoe hire for an hour's session, which is exceedingly cheap (well I'm a concession, so it's less for me). My fear of it is that I'll get really into it, go once a week get accredited and then have to shell out for a new track bike or something.

SamNichols

Sh4rkyBloke said:

I know you're in Manchester, John (you even work at the same place as me - you have no secrets!! :tongue:), maybe we can organise a joint trip to reduce the scariness. :blush:

I'm in Manchester too, so if you want a joint trip then I can come too, been meaning to go for a while now. It's only £9, plus £3 shoe hire for an hour's session, which is exceedingly cheap (well I'm a concession, so it's less for me). My fear of it is that I'll get really into it, go once a week get accredited and then have to shell out for a new track bike or something.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It very nearly ended with me buying a track bike last time I went to manchester.......

Fantastic fun, wouldn't mind doing it again..... just watch out for the numpties who don't go round quick enough, then slide off from the top.....

Just getting used to fixed is a little tricky - just don't try and freewheel when coming to a stop......

Top Bottom