Manchester velodrome Sunday 4th December. STILL ON.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr Mag00

rising member
bolox too far away :sad::cry: one day i would love to come up and ride

what a fantastic opportunity

teletext45

"but extend an offer to riders who have a good technical ability and bike handling skills"

What does this exactly mean?

andy

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Does that mean if your not of good a standard you'll be allowed on the track for the first hour?

andy

No I doubt that, hence I am more than happy to ride with folk that aren't too sure first. It's basically don't hoon about without checking where riders are - you have no brakes. Even as a daily fixed rider I find it a bit tricky, as I rely on my brakes. Just be aware of riders, look back, under and over, then move over. You will see what under and over means if you haven't ridden a world class track.... Literally feet above or below you on a bend.

teletext45

I managed it last time i'm considering trying out for my blue ticket so i can start training.

So basically this means were gonna get training from british cycling coaches?

andy

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Other view.

If new two hours is quite a session - even experienced riders (track, racing club sportive types etc) get a bit knackered over it, and maybe sit out a session - I now sit out 1 lap TT's as it hurts my shoulder too much.

The first hour you'll get to ride with others, it's usually a two hour coached session, so experienced track riders just set off whilst the coach spends a fair few minutes briefing first timers. Then you are on.:tongue:

If you aren't comfortable with certain 'exercises' then you can drop down to the black line. I've not been on for a year since my shoulder op, so I am happy to ride the first hour with any folk that haven't ridden before/or are newish. TBH within the first hour, you'll be so scared, you'll take in everything the coach says and do it right. Just watch out for lumps and bumps. That had me nearly grabbing the top rail first time I did it. :wacko:

Colly might be worth checking if the coach will be there the first hour ?

teletext45

I went to the last session flossy was realyl good fun, we did russian steps then 16 man persuits . I was knackered but managed the full 2 hours. Also getting to get going straight away rather then waiting for the brief is good.

Shame my track bike won't be finished :sad:

andy

OP
OP
colly

colly

Re member eR
"but extend an offer to riders who have a good technical ability and bike handling skills"

What does this exactly mean? andy

Good point Andy.

I'll e mail Andrew and ask if he can be a little more specific. Seeing as how you have riden on the track before, and to my eyes anyway appeared pretty competent, I doubt you would have a problem.

On the other hand what 'they' would deem good technical abilities might mean being able to cruise around at 30mph plus with sprints thrown in for good measure.

That would rule me out for sure. :sad:

It would be a shame to drag ourselves all the way there for just an hours fun and games. I'll find out what the score is and report back.

OP
OP
colly

colly

Re member eR
Colly might be worth checking if the coach will be there the first hour ?

Another good point Fossy.
The booking made is for the track and a coach for the two hours. I'll also make sure that if we do decide to accede to their request we will still have a coach for the first hour.

teletext45

As i said in my colly i'm up for this just have to keep an eye on the weather obviously it will be the same for everyone

andy

OP
OP
colly

colly

Re member eR
As you were.

I emailed Andrew last night and got this response this morning. It seems Andy and Fossy brought up some good points and by the sounds of things at least some of us and mabye all would have been little more than spectators for the second hour.

This is the response I got:

Hello Colin,

Thank you for taking the time to explore this and for considering the very important points that you have outlined. From the detail you have provided, I feel certain that some members would find themselves sidelined and given the distance some may be travelling, I would agree that this could result in disappointment for them.

I am taking the decision to reschedule our coaches’ assessments to another time, leaving you and the other riders to enjoy the track time you have booked.

I would like to reiterate my gratitude for your consideration of this and taking the time to reply.

Kind regards,

Andrew

So scrub that idea it's just us lot. Prepare your wallets. :biggrin::biggrin:

Steviebabes

Regular
:cursing:
Hi Colin

Just read your mail. Seems a little late to comment now, but never the less I will be there on the 4th with my wallet, ready and open, was quite looking forward to my goody bag lol.

See you soon :bicycle:

OP
OP
colly

colly

Re member eR
:cursing:
Hi Colin

Just read your mail. Seems a little late to comment now, but never the less I will be there on the 4th with my wallet, ready and open, was quite looking forward to my goody bag lol.

See you soon :bicycle:

Well that's very civil of you Steve......................I'll have a couple of tenners thank you very much. :thumbsup: :biggrin:

2old2care

Über Member
Hi I'd love to join in but I've never ridden the track before, would I still be welcome, and do I need to know any of the op's to be able to join in?

BTW I've put a deposit on a 2012 Langster, does this help :biggrin:

OP
OP
colly

colly

Re member eR
Hi I'd love to join in but I've never ridden the track before, would I still be welcome, and do I need to know any of the op's to be able to join in?

BTW I've put a deposit on a 2012 Langster, does this help :biggrin:

By all means come along! :thumbsup: You would be most welcome. You don't need to know any of us, some of us have only met once before anyway.

Never having ridden the track before is no problem. The coach would haul you to one side at the start for 15 mins and tell you what the score is. I think at the last track session we had:

http://www.cyclechat...pt-3pm-to-5-pm/

there were 5 or 6 first timers.

Top Bottom