Mandatory Helmet Use in London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

u9ge

It's the BBC, the very same people who didn't even have the balls to say it was Lance Armstrong who'd been accused of getting on ther Bovine Extract for 3 days when Landis came out.

I think their reporting on anything which goes anywhere near a cycling issue is utter tosh so i'm hardly suprised.

dondare

Über Member
The Mayor's Transport Advisor, Kulveer Ranger, wears a turban. Would he wear a helmet if he were on a bike, or is it a case of "Sikh, and you will be fined"?

dondare

Über Member
He just said "we will be there trying to advise both road-users and cyclists".
Cyclists not classed as road-users then.

dondare

Über Member
Also mentioned was the new cycle hire scheme. As I understand it, these bikes do not come with a helmet so if you can be fined for riding without a lid there's going to be bugger-all uptake.

martynjc1977

Veteran
It's crap ill informed reporting that give the general public the impression that all cyclists should be wearing helmets despite it not being law, also that we all jump red lights,and pavement ride ect.

And I look forward to the day that a police officer/pcso tries to fine me for not having a helmet while riding my bike.

crumpetman

dondare said:
He just said "we will be there trying to advise both road-users and cyclists".
Cyclists not classed as road-users then.

You can be a cyclist without being a road user.

perplexed

Guru
The CTC are already on at them for a retraction according to cycle clips newsletter...

dondare

Über Member
crumpetman said:
You can be a cyclist without being a road user.

Not many places you can get to in London without using the roads.
(Except for the old adage that London has no roads. Anyone know why this is?)

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
This isnt the first time the BBC have come out with nonsense regarding helmets. I made a complaint about the "helmets really do save lives" comment on Look East last month and asked for them to provide me with the unrefutable evidence they have obviously been privy to to back up these claims.

I got an email back from their team basically saying its Government guidence that all cyclists should wear helmet and iirc mentioning Headway's discredited nonsense. I put the reply on the CTC website.

Now if I said "carrying a stick of beechwood in your pocket cures cancer" you'd say: "you're ****ing mad mate! Whats wrong with you?" :evil: I think the BBC should start to be a bit more consciencious, I used to trust them, now I'm not so sure. They overcompete with other news channels too, and that doesnt help.

Top Bottom