Marathon de sable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
:eek:!! You must be :crazy::wacko::crazy:. People die doing that!

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I worked with a guy who ran it. He wasn't a great runner, just an average club runner. He said most people walked/ran, it wasnt uncommon for people to take 7 hours to run a marathon. His main training plan was get as low body weight as possible. After finishing his feet were a mess. He wore sandals in the office for two weeks because of the blisters, swelling and pain.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
A friend of mine attempted it a few years ago, she's not a fast runner but has a very good endurance base. She went for the run/walk approach but had to pull out about 4/5 of the way through due to "hydration issues" or in layman's English, diarrhoea.

James (don't mention his name in cycling circles) Cracknell did it the other year. I watched the programme they made about his attempt. IIRC he did finish, but his feet were FUBAR by the end of it.

They had to butcher his feet just so he could keep going, and at one point he was collapsing through exhaustion, dehydration, stupidity etc and was very nearly pulled out for his own sake, not to mention his Wife and kids :wacko:

If your single, healthy and a sadist, go for it. Otherwise consider your family and take your name off the list and do IMUK or run the VLM instead or something.

..there are ultra endurance events and ultra stupidity events.. Marathon de Sables falls into the later! (many of the first group actually do as well..)
Do you really have to prove that much to yourself (or others)? :scratch:

Proto

Legendary Member
Not bad, if he's been going these last eight years.
🤣🤣

Top Bottom