Marin Four Corners Size

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Metal8

That's Dad that is!
Further to my other thread
http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/all-round-bike.206315

Decided on the Marin and test rode. Felt good but shop only had medium so no large to try.
I'm 5' 10.5-11" tall with 32" inside leg and positive ape index.

According to Marin's sizing chart, I should be either medium or large with it leaning towards large.
Worry with the medium is having to put saddle up too high.
Geometry figures and Size Chart attached as images.

I know it's all very personal and subjective but any thoughts?
Cheers

Attachments

• Marin Size Chart.PNG
    Marin Size Chart.PNG
    3.3 KB · Views: 1,802
  • Marin Four Corners Geometry.PNG
    Marin Four Corners Geometry.PNG
    15.9 KB · Views: 1,356

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Metal8 good choice no idea re size as you said its a personal thing will they let you try the Medium on a 10+ mile ride ?

vickster

Legendary Member
I was the same with the Whyte R7 series, on the cusp on their sizing guide, had a medium Cambridge which always felt small, now have a large Portobello which feels the right size for me. Loads of seat post on both bikes just due to the shape of the frame

As you says its personal, generally better taking the smaller bike and adding a longer stem etc, flipping the stem to reduce seat to bar drop, but only you can decide, can the shop get you a large? Or is there another retailer somewhere?

OP
OP
Metal8

Metal8

That's Dad that is!
As you says its personal, generally better taking the smaller bike and adding a longer stem etc, flipping the stem to reduce seat to bar drop, but only you can decide, can the shop get you a large? Or is there another retailer somewhere?

Think I'll be ok with raising the seat post, it won't be enough that it'll be near maximum.
The stem angles upwards so handlebars are meant to in a 'comfy' position anyway on the Four Corners.

Looks like it would take them a while to get a large from their warehouse or another shop and no other retailers close.

OP
OP
Metal8

Metal8

That's Dad that is!
Mate has a Giant Revolt 3 which I tried in Medium and was too cramped. His is M/L and it feels fine but I'll have to put saddle up higher than he has it. Maybe by 2 cm.
We are almost exactly same height, weight, leg length etc.

I'm used to my old 1980's road bike with handlebars up high and saddle in line with top bar/slightly lower than brake hoods. Not used to these more 'eh..modern' bike geometries :whistle:
Saddle on the Marin will be about a cm higher than the top of the hoods, that should be fine I suppose??

Here are the Giant Revolt geometry figures to compare
Giant Revolt 3.PNG

Attachments

• Marin Four Corners Geometry.PNG
    Marin Four Corners Geometry.PNG
    15.9 KB · Views: 212
Well, your Mates Giant m/l is 1.5cm longer in the top tube than your proposed marin. So check the stem length. measure your 80's bike too and compare. I bet it has quite a long top tube. It doesn't sound like it's far out and it's easier to adapt a bike slightly too small than one that is too big. I would also suggest that the Marin will suit being a little smaller, especially off-road when you want to get over the bike more and it has a longer wheelbase than the Giant.

OP
OP
Metal8

Metal8

That's Dad that is!
Well, your Mates Giant m/l is 1.5cm longer in the top tube than your proposed marin. So check the stem length. measure your 80's bike too and compare. I bet it has quite a long top tube. It doesn't sound like it's far out and it's easier to adapt a bike slightly too small than one that is too big. I would also suggest that the Marin will suit being a little smaller, especially off-road when you want to get over the bike more and it has a longer wheelbase than the Giant.

Measured top tube of 80's bike, 56cm. Think mates bike is actually shorter top tube as I think Giant measure effective and Marin give actual and effective?
So Giant TT 56.9, Marin 57.5.
Anyway, as near as damn it so I think that's fine.
As you say, the smaller size probably best then.
Cheers

Measured top tube of 80's bike, 56cm. Think mates bike is actually shorter top tube as I think Giant measure effective and Marin give actual and effective?
So Giant TT 56.9, Marin 57.5.
Anyway, as near as damn it so I think that's fine.
As you say, the smaller size probably best then.
Cheers
Effective is normally the one to go on as a sloping TT will be longer but I'd say it's pretty close and if it felt right on the test ride then it's probably good.

Nibor

Bewildered
I am 6' 31" inside leg and tend to ride large and still have a fair aount of seatpost out so I think you may well be a large just depends on the reach difference really.

Edit looking at their sizing I would probably be on the M/L size with a 57cm ish top tube

OP
OP
Metal8

Metal8

That's Dad that is!
I thought it was a CX, hence my off-road comment, so ignore that but the rest still applies.

It's a bit of an all rounder really. Schwalbe Silento tyres 700Cx4.
It's what the trendy bike journalists like to call a gravel/adventure bike!
So, touring, trails, countryside, gravel and canal paths etc.
Oh, and very damaged and pot-holed Edinburgh roads :angry:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Metal8

Metal8

That's Dad that is!
Edit looking at their sizing I would probably be on the M/L size with a 57cm ish top tube

Yeah that sounds good. I got her indoors to properly measure me last night.
5' 10", think I've shrunk, I thought I was about 5' 11"!
31 1/4" inside leg and a slightly positive Ape Index (3cm) so long arms for my height.

I think the Medium will be just fine.
Thanks for helping put my mind at rest.

Top Bottom