Marmalade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
661-Pete said:
Have you got a pressure cooker, 26x25? Makes it a lot quicker. I can post a pressure-cooker recipe if you like, but have to consult Mrs P - she's the marmalade guru.

In fact, we laid off making marmalade for about three years, trying to keep the sugar (and calories) intake down you see (even the 'low-sugar' recipes are an awful lot of sugar) :smile:. But, being completely out of stock this year, we relented and made another batch. There goes the waistline...:tongue:

Yes please Pete. I have a pressure cooker :tongue:

I know what you mean wrt eating the stuff. I used to make mega quantities (one crate's worth - about 100lbs of jam) and we got thro' it in a year.:tongue: :tongue: Now I only make it every other year (or when we begin to run low) and don't get near the crate's worth at all. One pound a week is an exageration now - even for all the family. I've completed this lot and have 27lbs with 4lbs left from the last batch. Chances are it'll be 2012 for the next batch. It's yet another sign of the ageing process :tongue:

OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
longers said:
I just made it up after hearing the idea and it worked but this is one way to do it.
I didn't use cognac or apricots but spread the buns with marmalade after buttering.

Thanks longers. :tongue: That looks really excellent.:smile: It's got all the correct ingredients - butter, buns, marmalade, cream, sugar etc etc. Clearly only for those on a well balanced diet. I'll be making it sometime soon :tongue: :tongue:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
twentysix by twentyfive said:
Add Lemon Juice - Pectin source. :smile:
Mamade is pretty good too. Saves a lot of orange prep. And it works with half sugar :tongue: :tongue:

Lemon juice is not a source of pectin (in any quantity) but it is a source of acid. Pectin needs acidic conditions and high sugar solids to gel.

Sadly Marmaleade consumption is in decline in the UK. Not in this hpuse at any rate, but I'm the only consumer (nom nom).
Partial to Frank Coopers Oxford Marmalade and Baxters English Breakfast Marmalade myself

Slowgrind

Without a shred of a doubt!

colly

Re member eR
Today I have been brewing up my Sevilles and generating some special Marmalade. ;) :becool:

Off to do another batch in a minute. :wacko: :biggrin:

<Homer> Mmmmmm Mmmaaarmmmmaaaalaaade <Homer/>

Sounds great! Can you post the recipe? :biggrin::smile:

Yes please Pete. I have a pressure cooker ;)
OK, don't know if you still need ours, but here goes. Fairly standard recipe;

1 Kg Seville oranges
2 Lemons
1.25 litres water
2 Kg sugar

You will need another saucepan about the same size as the pressure cooker, for reasons which will become apparent. Also a piece of muslin (a square cut from an old net curtain works a treat - if it is clean).

Wash and scrub well all the oranges and lemons. Cut the oranges up into segments leaving the peel on. Remove and retain the pips from each segment, then cut each segment crosswise into strips about 2mm wide. This sounds tedious but once you've got the knack and a sharp knife, it can be done quite quickly.

Do the same with the lemons. This is where my wife and I disagree: she says you should use just the juice of the lemons and discard the peel, I say use the whole lemon, peel and all, shredding the peel as for the oranges. Take your pick.

Tie all the pips into the piece of muslin making a little bag. Put the bag, the oranges and lemons and half the water into the pressure cooker, bring rapidly to the boil and cook under pressure for ten minutes.

Take off the heat and reduce pressure quickly; once pressure is down, open pressure cooker. Fish out and discard the muslin bag of pips (remember to do this before dissolving the sugar! Otherwise it gets messy!).

Dissolve all the sugar in the liquid, stirring well until it is all dissolved.

Add the remaining half of the water and bring to the boil. This is when it is a good idea to divide the liquor between two saucepans and heat separately, to avoid boiling over. Also have your jars ready, heated in the oven.

Boil both pans rapidly until the marmalade has reached setting point. Periodically spoon out a little of the liquor onto a cold saucer, let it cool and touch it with a fingertip. At setting point, the drop should form a skin which wrinkles as you move your finger to one side. Towards the end of the reducing process you can combine the two pans' contents once again.

Once setting point is reached turn off the heat, give the marmalade a good stir, let it settle and spoon off as much froth from the top as you can. Then decant into jars and close them while still hot.

Enjoy!

scots_lass

Here's a quick and easy recipe that can be made at any time of the year:

MARMALADE (makes about 7lbs)

2lbs fruit (any combination of grapefruit, oranges, tangerines, limes & lemons etc)
2.25 pts water
3lbs preserving sugar
1 lemon

Fling all the fruit into a food processor and chop. Put in pan with water and boil for approx half an hour. Add sugar, dissolve slowly and bring to boil for 15 mins approx. Pick out any pips which float to the surface. Check for setting and pour into warmed jars.

colly

Re member eR
I don't have a pressure cooker but, Scots_Lass, thats sounds just yummy, and also easy.:blush::biggrin:

Right up my neck of the woods.

Top Bottom