.Marquees in pub gardens.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Next question: If you smoke in a marquee, are you inside or outside ?
No. If its "substantially enclosed" you cant do so. There is a case from early on that set the precedent that having a roof and a single wall, in this case the veranda at a shopping centre, was substantially enclosed for the purposes of the regs. That means, technically, most of these bus stop style smoking huts you see in company car parks also fall afoul, but rarely seem to attract the ire of the authorities.

Not sure our village pub will ever reopen. The manageent fees and rent were eye watering (£35,000 up front and £12,000 a year for just rhe building, a pub in a small village that might see 20 customers on a typical evening) and it bankrupt a new tennant pretty much annually. With covid on top of that I reckon its gone for good now. Fear not - I dont need to drive to someone elses "house" to have a pint, plus my own home brew is nicer than the filth that passes for beer these days.

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
I'm teetotal but still enjoy the atmosphere (if you can find a one with some) of a pub and pub garden.

I'm an alcoholic and I still enjoy the atmosphere! :cheers:

OP
OP
Venod

Venod

Eh up
Not sure our village pub will ever reopen.

Before Covid pubs were shutting at an alarming rate, I think this pandemic will close a lot more permanently, especially country pubs, I have seen a lot for sale or to let while out and about on the bike, although in the town center a couple of new bars are on the cards, one was a pub that has been shut for a number of years.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
why do you have to preplan?
It's just what many pubs were doing last year.
My favorite pub had used their car park last summer to put lots more seating outside and that worked really well for a while through mid summer... come the darker evenings around September and people were using the far reaches of the car park to smoke weed while they drank. Cue complaints by neighbours and a visit from the police. So the landlord took away half the seating and brought it closer to keep an eye on things.
When I next went, there was a maitre d' style podium at the entrance...
"Good afternoon, have you reserved a table?"

That was my last pub visit, sadly. I can't be doing with that.

Our local is a very nice pub, but I fear that I can't be doing with having to book a table just to sit outside. So it remains "drink at home" for me until the situation changes significantly...

It's just what many pubs were doing last year.
My favorite pub had used their car park last summer to put lots more seating outside and that worked really well for a while through mid summer... come the darker evenings around September and people were using the far reaches of the car park to smoke weed while they drank. Cue complaints by neighbours and a visit from the police. So the landlord took away half the seating and brought it closer to keep an eye on things.
When I next went, there was a maitre d' style podium at the entrance...
"Good afternoon, have you reserved a table?"

That was my last pub visit, sadly. I can't be doing with that.
No i can"t be doing with that either. Won't be queuing to get in anything either.

I'll be happy when the pubs/clubs are open, even if it is in a marquee, as I really miss the chat and laughs with my friends, but my body is going to find it a strain. I haven't touched a drop of alcohol since they closed at the end of last year as I never feel like drinking at home, but I suppose I'll just have to take one for the team.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I'm with all those who said they won't be booking in advance as the spontaneity of being able to go to pubs on a whim are what appeals to me. Queues as well, they can go forth and multiply.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We had to book slots at the pub at our caravan park last year. We fell lucky the weather was in the main OK. On one of the days it was wet, you could sit under the roof overhang with the electric heater on ! Only managed a few visits for a pint with my dad.

Top Bottom