Mars 4.0 / Mars 3.0 Rear LED's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Finally got delivery of my Mars 4.0 to go along side my Mars 3.0 and Cateye EL RD600.

Like the Mars 3.0 it's very well made and looks just as waterproof. Slightly more compact than the Mars 3.0, and can be opened with a coin to get at the batteries - the Mars 3.0 needs 3 small screws removing. Both halves of the casing are sealed by a thick rubber moulded washer.

The 4.0 only has 2 modes - constant and a steady flashing mode, where as the 3 also has a chasing function.

The 4.0 has just 3 LED's, a 1W rear and 2 orange side LEDS, the 3.0, 5 rear, 2 side.

As for brightness it's much brighter than the 3.0 and a Cateye LD600 - possibly 1.5-2x brighter.

The 4.0 is bright, no doubt, but it doesn't have the mad flash that the Smart has, but it's waterproof and comes with a lifetime g-tee..... I intend having this one on constant, as the battery change is easier then the Mars 3.0. The clamp is also better on the 4.0, and comes with a rack adapter, but unfortunately, neither the 3 or 4's clamps are interchangeable.

A couple of pics, but they don't do it much justice... 4.0 top, 3.0 below, then the cateye at the bottom - all on constant. Pics from my pitch black garage..... In the first pic you can see the side LED output from both Mars LEDS...

DSCF2174.jpg

DSCF2179.jpg

Tynan

Veteran
cor that does look bright, nice, my mars4 is in the post after my second smart in sucession ejected when I hit a bump

always hackes me off when the clamp is a bit shoddy, lights are piss all good if the clamp lets them down over time

My smart 1/2 watt is good and cheap but as every body knows it tends to jam on if it gets saturated so I ve orded a Mars 4.0 as back up, good review.

PS I like the 1st Photo, its like a little spaceman or something, the reflection of the saddle rails add to the affect, it like a little pair of antennae

Tharg2007

Veteran
we might get a better idea of the amount of light emitted by the lights if you were to take a photo of the garage door that faces the lights (especially the lock area :biggrin: :laugh: :biggrin:)

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Now..now - not if I see you first Mr Tharg :biggrin:

I'll have a go at taking a reflective picture off a wall.....don't want to give my 'security' arrangements away.....

bonj2

I've ordered one of those as my smart 1/2W superflash sometimes won't turn off, and sometimes even turns itself on, so I'm getting a mars to use while i've sent my smart back to wiggle

bonj said:
I've ordered one of those as my smart 1/2W superflash sometimes won't turn off, and sometimes even turns itself on, so I'm getting a mars to use while i've sent my smart back to wiggle

+ 1, my smart 1/2 watt does the same when saturated. The smart is OK on the commute as its on the seat post (under the saddle) but on my bikes with carbon posts its clipped to the saddle bag and a bit exposed and hence I've ordered the Mars.

bonj2

HLaB said:
+ 1, my smart 1/2 watt does the same when saturated. The smart is OK on the commute as its on the seat post (under the saddle) but on my bikes with carbon posts its clipped to the saddle bag and a bit exposed and hence I've ordered the Mars.

Try it on the top bit of the seat stay - that's where I have my smart. The one on my saddle bag can't do anything other than point down unfortunately so i just a cheapo one on flashing there and have the smart on constant.

just got the mars, must stop burning my retinas with it in marvel at how bright it is! Unfortunately though its mounting appears to be unidirectional, so may be a bit difficult to mount on the seat stay...oh no actually looking at it it's got a screw which looks like you undo to swivel it...

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Tynan said:
cor that does look bright, nice, my mars4 is in the post after my second smart in sucession ejected when I hit a bump

always hackes me off when the clamp is a bit shoddy, lights are piss all good if the clamp lets them down over time

I asked my LBS for a new bracket as my Smart light came off a couple of times, and he just bent the bottom of the bracket forward (slightly) for a few seconds and its been fine since.

Tynan

Veteran
the second time, the backplate stayed in the clip with the front and the batteries flying away

in time all recovered and reassembled although it does feel a tad 'not new anymore'

no beef because they're very good for that money, the Mars light is far more secure and well made though

My Mars 4.0 came today and it looks very good, one of colleagues decided he wanted to see how good, he's still seeing red spots in his eyes, I'm glad he was taking the train and not driving.:biggrin:

It was easy to fit and it looks very robust and well made, IMO its definitely value for money.

Young Un

I have bought both of these lights and they turned up today.

The mars 4.0 is great however the 3.0 i cant get the back off to put the batteries in - i have undone the three screws but it still wont budge, any ideas??

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

PM'ed - gently remove it as the substantial rubber seal will be holding it on - think it just gets a bit sticky whilst 'in the box' - will be OK from now on. Use a finger nail and pull the clamp.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Got my Mars4.0 yesterday (I'm overcompensating somewhat lighting wise, after my recent off). Despite the reviews above, still looked at the thing after switching it on - good god it's bright. The bracket is easier to fit than the Mars3.0 bracket too.

Top Bottom