Mary Townley Loop - Sat 19th Sept 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
shauncollier said:
bump. still on?
I'm still hoping to join you but yesterday's very hilly 100 km road ride with PaulB and his son confirmed that my fitness isn't super. I felt pretty tired afterwards and fairly stiff and sore. That suggests that I'd struggle a bit on the MTL. Still - there are plenty of bail-out opportunities if I was really on a bad day. If I end up in one of the valleys and can't face going up over any more hills, I can always ride home on the road if I have to.

I also think I'll need to invest in a new back tyre since there is hardly any tread left on the current one. Any suggestions for a good cross country MTB tyre which is not too expensive? (Below £25, preferably significantly below!) At least 2.1", possibly bigger. Not too heavy. Fairly hard wearing.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
panaracer fire road xc (i think that's the right name ish). don't worry about your fitness. i'm nowhere fit enough in reality but i still did it last time. at least we can keep each other company. i'm hoping to do it in less than 8 hours but not bothered if it takes me 10 again. this time i'm taking gels just in case i feel like blowing again.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
with regards to start time. i think it may be wise to start early. i think it would make more sense to finish in daylight rather than 'us' at the back struggling with tiredness AND cold AND darkness. however, we also have to take into consideration where we are stopping for food and which pubs / cafe's will be open. we also need to think of where we are starting. it's getting closer so we need to pin down some details.

ColinJ

RedBike said:
Where is the start?
From a purely selfish point of view, I'd suggest Hebden Bridge since I don't have a car and I'll probably get knackered enough doing just the MTL without riding 10 or 15 miles each way on the road to some other starting point. (I'm assuming that the rest of you will be driving.). We could do a nice gentle warm-up along the canal towpath before hitting the first climb.

Actually, looking back in the thread, trio has already suggested that.

shauncollier said:
with regards to start time. i think it may be wise to start early. i think it would make more sense to finish in daylight rather than 'us' at the back struggling with tiredness AND cold AND darkness.
Agreed, but already suggested too - 08:00 giving us 11 hours of daylight?

shauncollier said:
however, we also have to take into consideration where we are stopping for food and which pubs / cafe's will be open. we also need to think of where we are starting. it's getting closer so we need to pin down some details.
I can't remember whether we said clockwise or anti-clockwise. If it is clockwise from HB, I'd suggest the Ram Inn at Holme Chapel which at about the 2/3 point in that direction. The only downside being that we would have to do a climb straight afterwards.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
that sounds fine for me. i agree to all. i will be fetching my bike in a trailer. have you got any ideas with regards to parking. ram inn is a good pub (only 3 1/2 miles from me) and it also means we will have done the thousand gates mile. mind you the pack horse at widdup is also a very good pub and is after the gorple climb. i think we agreed cw as it doesn't have as much pushing

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
by the way, i have just done a few hours on the mtl at my end, waterfoot to the memorial and around there. it is very very muddy. i haven't been up for about a month as i've been playing on my brommie. it obviously has seen increased usage.

OP
OP
trio25

trio25

Über Member
Colin, Ali is thinking of coming for some of the route and bailing out early so if anyone fancies a shorter one that is an option. We are on the track the next day so she wants fresh legs!

parking, I am going to dump my car at my friends house, not much use for the rest of you!

ColinJ

trio25 said:
Colin, Ali is thinking of coming for some of the route and bailing out early so if anyone fancies a shorter one that is an option. We are on the track the next day so she wants fresh legs!
Great - though I'll do my best to make it round the whole loop. I'll have 'home advantage' in that I know the local parts of the loop really well so I know what is coming after the Ram Inn. Also, I'll be close to home at the end so I don't have to worry about the journey home at the end.

trio25 said:
parking, I am going to dump my car at my friends house, not much use for the rest of you!
Market Place is best car park to use - it is long-stay and only 30p/hour. It will be almost empty at that time in the morning. Make sure you put enough money in the Pay-and-display machine because parking wardens do patrol here and it is a £60 fine if they catch you out!

getmapimage.asp

There are one-way streets and pedestrian areas so I suggest going to the car park via Old Gate (by the river), and Hangingroyd Lane.

Leave the car park by St. George's Street (over the river) and bear left a few yards to the junction with the Keighley Road. Turn right, immediately right again, then bear left down Albert Street to the traffic lights on the A646. Turn left at the lights for Halifax/Bradford/Leeds direction, or right for Todmorden/Greater Manchester.

RedBike

Would you fancy a lift back to your house if Ali disapears with the car?

OP
OP
trio25

trio25

Über Member
That would be great, I'll tell her about that option, she probably would meet us at the pub or something, has to be planned yet and she might not come, in which case I'll steal a lift both ways!

RedBike

trio25 said:
That would be great, I'll tell her about that option, she probably would meet us at the pub or something, has to be planned yet and she might not come, in which case I'll steal a lift both ways!

And there I was thinking you'd ride both ways. You're clearly starting to get lazy Trio ;)

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
paying for parking!!! i'll ride in it's only an extra 13 miles each way. where exactly are we meeting? swapping numbers might be a good idea as well just in case some are late

Top Bottom