Mary Townley Loop - Sat 19th Sept 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedBike

Thats a big mileage.
After months of asking you to take a rest I guess i'm just shocked that you actually are!

Look after yourself Trio.
xx

-I'm still in self destuct mode.I'm stressed and riding seems to help so I'm REALLY clocking up the miles. I've just realised tonight that my commute has become 40miles each way. I'm also planning another 150miler tomorrow to watch the tour.

OP
OP
trio25

trio25

Über Member
Yes red that is a big mileage!!! I am not the one that doesn't rest that is you! I also have a full day at the track on sunday!

RedBike

Ignore that bit about the tour.
Just read another thread on here and changed my mind.

I'm riding to Edale/Hope then running part of the Skyline route instead.

Globalti

Legendary Member
So you're meeting at Callis bridge. At what time? If I can make it I'll be there; it depends on family commitments.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi folks - I'm just back from a week in the midlands and haven't been online all that time. I'm still up for the MTL ride. I'm hoping that it has been as dry up here as it was down there so that some of the mud will have dried up!

PS Enjoy the rest trio - it sounds as though you need/deserve one! :evil:

ColinJ

RedBike is already on his way - he is riding here overnight, grabbing a couple of hours sleep somewhere and then doing the MTL with us (and presumably riding home afterwards). As if that isn't enough, he said that he will be on his singlespeed MTB... :ohmy:

I'm meeting goodspeed in Hebden Bridge at 07:40 then we will ride to Callis Bridge along the canal towpath.

Shaun - I'll PM you my mobile number.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
yes mom :angry:

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
well i am well pissed off. we set off on what can only be described as the perfect day. after about a hour and a half, my chain ring bolts came loose and 2 had fallen out. no choice but to bail as i am single speed. aaaaarrrrrrgggghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

one of the other lads took a nasty fall and bashed his knee, i hope he can carry on.

any way, i will do it next saturday / sunday. anybody want to join me. starting, say at waterfoot?

for you guys doing it today, let me know how it went. good luck (not that they can here me but hey, they might feel the good vibes)

OP
OP
trio25

trio25

Über Member
Shame shaun, chainring bolts made my tool kit after someone I rode with had that problem.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
really? i've never heard of them coming loose before. but i've got some extras on order. 3 lbs's don't stock xtr ones as they are specials and difficult to get from shimano. going to get some stud lock as well. redbike text me to say they've finished but cheated. i don't know what he meant yet.

ColinJ

Okay, here's a summary of what happened...

First, Martin (goodspeed) fell off his bike on the little cobbled bridleway down from Mankinholes to Lumbutts. He skinned his knee, but more importantly, he gave it a good hard knock and it was hurting him for the rest of the ride. It didn't help that he fell off on it again later at Top of Leach!

2 of Shaun's 4 chainring bolts went walkabout, as described above. Shaun thought about carrying on but it would have been crazy. He'd probably have ended up with a broken bike miles from where he'd left his car so abandoning was all that he could do really.

Jon (RedBike - though funnily enough he was riding a black bike today) demonstrated what a fit rider can do on a singlespeed bike. I am not worthy! :biggrin:

I demonstrated what an overweight middle-aged guy with 27 gears can't do on a mountain bike - especially on anything remotely technical! I kept Martin and Jon waiting a lot more than I should have done really, but they were very good-natured about it.

Martin had a route programmed into his GPS. I say 'a route' since it wasn't really an accurate version of the PBW/MTL route! I think it was derived from a tracklog of somebody's attempt to ride the MTL, complete with doubling-back and diversions. Our navigational problems were compounded by finding that idiots had pulled down quite a few of the PBW signs. And so it was that I managed to miss the correct bridleway at Deerplay and lead us on a major push over a boggy moor up to Thieveley Pike. I went up there on the Rossendale Mountain Bike Challenge a few years ago and somehow got the two routes confused. I didn't remember until I got home that I had the official MTL guide in my bag and it would have clearly shown us which way to go.

We ended up criss-crossing the Deerplay hillside in drizzly conditions before finally deciding that we would give up on completing the MTL today and just head down to the valley and ride back to Callis Bridge on the A646. Martin's knee was giving up on him, but I can't use that as an excuse because I didn't really feel that I wanted to do the last section from the Ram Inn either.

On our trip down the hillside I somehow managed to dig my front wheel into some kind of rut that I hadn't spotted and the next thing I was flying through the air and landed heavily on my back. I heard the bones in my back and neck go 'crunch' and had a moment of panic before I realised that I could still wiggle my fingers and toes and nothing seemed to be broken. It was rather like the demonstration that a sadistic Judo instructor subjected me to at school nearly 40 years ago - "This is how much it hurts if you don't know how to break a fall properly! In case you didn't see Colin wince when I threw him 6 feet in the air, dumping him on his back, I'll do it again. Repeatedly! Next week, I'll teach you how to break a fall."

I'm aching all over now, and feel a slight sense of failure for not completing the ride, but overall I enjoyed our day out. I didn't like the muddy bits, the gates, the technical descents and the steep pushes, but there were some really nice stretches of bridleway that I'd like to ride again. I think that I'll give the MTL a miss until next year now. I need to get fitter to really enjoy it.

It was nice to meet Shaun and Jon, and to see Martin again.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
oh dear not a good day then. i'm sorry to hear it wasn't to be today.

i'm doing next weekend come hell or high water. i've lined up some 'borrowed' granny ring bolts, just in case mine don't arrive. i'm glueing these buggers in!!!

if anyone wishes to join me then please do!! i'm planning of starting from waterfoot / the bit above dunnockshaw, simply because i live near there. however i'm flexible and can meet wherever.

once again bad luck lads.

Top Bottom