Mary Townley Loop - Sat 19th Sept 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
RedBike said:
I'm still not sure where we are starting from.
Where exactly are we meeting in Hebden Bridge?

Isn't Hebden bridge a mile or so off route?
Hebden Bridge is about 1.5 miles from Callis Bridge which is where the MTL crosses the A646. I'd be quite happy to meet you there. You could probably drive a short way up into Callis wood (the Stoodley Pike side of the road) and park up there. NB I'm assuming that the residents of the nearby terrace of cottages wouldn't object! If you'd prefer to park in HB, use the car park I described above and I'll meet you there. We could meet Shaun at Callis Bridge, either way.

shauncollier said:
paying for parking!!! i'll ride in it's only an extra 13 miles each way. where exactly are we meeting? swapping numbers might be a good idea as well just in case some are late
Callis Bridge?

We can sort out phone numbers and times nearer the day, when we know exactly who is coming along.

RedBike

That sounds like a better plan
Hopefully this is Callis Bridge
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?...archp=ids.srf&dn=613&ax=397171&ay=426409&lm=0

ColinJ

RedBike said:
That's the one - coming from the Todmorden direction it is on the right immediately after the sewerage works where the Pegasus crossing is (high pelican crossing for horsey people!) The PBW/MTL goes up through the wood and has been rerouted along what is shown as Pinnacle Lane on that map.

You'll have to use your discretion as to where to park. The first part of the climb has some space at the side of the dirt road but that is where the residents of the houses park and you might annoy them if you take up one of 'their' spaces. On the other hand, you don't want to park too high up where it is narrow and you might block the way for farm traffic from above the wood.

I'll ride along the towpath and meet you by the PBW/MTL sign at the canal bridge at Callis.

OP
OP
trio25

trio25

Über Member
I will probably park at HB, as I can just park outside my friends house and not worry about annoying anyone I don't know. So then I will ride over. Colin that means you have company on the way back!

ColinJ

If any of you are ever driving to HB and want free parking, there is a spot known to locals where there are no yellow lines - just don't tell anybody that I sent you!

From the Todmorden direction, turn right just before the Co-op, go over the canal bridge and turn right up the Horsehold climb. If you get there early enough you can usually find a space on the right hand side of the road at the foot of the hill.

PS Trio - I probably won't be capable of saying very much on the run back into HB! ;)

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
fyi,

on bikehike there is a near enough version of mtl someone has saved. just search for mary townley and it pops ups up. good for elevation and gradient info. if you use osm layer aswell it clears the junk out of the way

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
cheers trio,

never thought to cut n paste. thanks for reply on other thread. i worry like an old biddy sometimes. just my age i think.:biggrin:

like i said, i'm going to leave it as is and trust you and red. i think the problem is that on the bridleways (mtl & others) around my way are really muddy, hilly, and too well used to get a good idea if my set up is ok for longer routes.

i'm going to use the money for a new headset instead, it's buggered.

OP
OP
trio25

trio25

Über Member
Sorry folks, but I've ended up with a silly busy week this week. My legs will not thank me for riding saturday as well, so I can't make it!

RedBike

trio25 said:
Sorry folks, but I've ended up with a silly busy week this week. My legs will not thank me for riding saturday as well, so I can't make it!

I hope everythings alright.

Trio with tired legs? - I don't believe it!

OP
OP
trio25

trio25

Über Member
Redbike, I have ended up with a week with lots of riding, will have done 240miles by saturday I will need to rest for sunday!

Top Bottom