Mass arrests 'Critical Mass' cycle ride during Olympics opening

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I'm sure there may have been police heavy handedness too. But just setting the situation up was like poking a wasp's nest. Sensible people don't.

yello

I'm sure there may have been police heavy handedness too. But just setting the situation up was like poking a wasp's nest. Sensible people don't.

Indeed. Takes two to tango and all that.

That said, you do have to wonder about the thinking behind going ahead with Critical Mass last night. Shows a distorted sense of priorities imho.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of critical mass and the decision to hold a ride yesterday can you imagine our thugs officers having guns and policing say the TdeF??

Arch

Married to Night Train
I don't suppose one messes with a Gendarme. In fact, I've got a feeling that the special tactical division of the French police are known for being Not People You Mes With.

But Critical Mass and the TdeF aren't the same thing. Critical Mass (as I see it, I have to admit to limited experience*) is likely to contain a proportion on people with axes to grind. The TdeF is an institution, adored by the spectators. There's the odd loony who gets too close, but nothing that might be considered organised (or might be hijacked by organised people)

*There have been Critical Mass rides in York, and I went on one. Couldn't quite get the point. I know the sort of people who go on it though, and generally, they're not people I'd hang out with, on or off a bike.

yello

I think the UK police are, generally speaking, a little more tolerant of protesters than many other nation's forces!

I don't doubt for a moment that the police can act in a heavy handed way, I'd not defend it either. My point is rather than the organisers of Critical Mass thought their cause was more important than the Olympics last night. That just shows them to have a distorted view, to lack consideration and respect... imho.

OP
OP
lordloveaduck

lordloveaduck

I think the UK police are, generally speaking, a little more tolerant of protesters than many other nation's forces!

I don't doubt for a moment that the police can act in a heavy handed way, I'd not defend it either. My point is rather than the organisers of Critical Mass thought their cause was more important than the Olympics last night. That just shows them to have a distorted view, to lack consideration and respect... imho.

In the last video i posted did you see the female officer trying to stop the male officer getting at the man in the wheel chair.

yello

In the last video i posted did you see the female officer trying to stop the male officer getting at the man in the wheel chair.

No. Have you a point to make?

OP
OP
lordloveaduck

lordloveaduck

Why pepper spray a chap who can't get out of a chair?

The rail police chap being overly heavy handed on a person who can not get out of a chair.
The crowd shouting 'Shame on you'

My point is that there was no need for it to escalate as far as it did. No need for the police man to act the
way that he did.

No need to kettle people.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
The transport policeman looks like he lost his temper and got scared, which is very worrying. How could anyone mistake the man in the mobility shopper repeating 'I am disabled.'

In general I am a supporter of the police (despite being an anarcho type) but when the people getting scared in these situations are the ones carrying the legal weapons then something has gone very wrong somewhere in the events leading to this situation.

__________________________________________________________________________________
Sent from settee #2 - steel & wooden frame, deep padded seat, low profile DFS 2000 model.

It looked like his baton was close to being used. It would be prudent to know more details of events leading up to the video before coming to any conclusions. It wouldn't surprise me to discover that it was six of one and half a dozen of the other.

I suppose in the Policeman's defence he didn't know for certain the wheelchair man was actually wheelchair bound, the longer video says:
It started out when the policeman tried to move a cyclist in the road, then he tried to man handling a cyclist out of the way, at which point his girlfriend had a go at the policeman, then he tried to arrest his girlfriend when she tried to intervene. Then someone tried to stop him arresting the girl, so he went onto that guy, then the guy in the wheelchair lunged for the policeman and totally had him over.

Brains

Legendary Member
What shame that a great event was ruined by a bunch of loonies looking for a fight.
The police should be ashamed of themselves, I really hope they are prosecuted for such disgraceful behaviour.

I was trying to work out last night why they were all heading for the main river route all tooled up last night.

Top Bottom