Mass arrests 'Critical Mass' cycle ride during Olympics opening

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Durian

Über Member
What shame that a great event was ruined by a bunch of loonies looking for a fight.
The police should be ashamed of themselves, I really hope they are prosecuted for such disgraceful behaviour.

I was trying to work out last night why they were all heading for the main river route all tooled up last night.

Prosecuted for what? Trying to keep the highway clear and preventing the scum anarchists from ruling the streets?

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Prosecuted for what? Trying to keep the highway clear and preventing the scum anarchists from ruling the streets?

No such thing as 'scum anarchists' any more than there are 'scum white people'. Anarchy is a very broad term that has been coloured by excitable news corps looking for something to scare people into buying newspapers.

"All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume.
Noam Chomsky"

Every Anarchist I know of is a lot more interested in pursuing peaceful self-reliance and community resilience than trying to punch policemen.

__________________________________________________________________________________
Sent from settee #2 - steel & wooden frame, deep padded seat, low profile DFS 2000 model.

RhythMick

Über Member
Perhaps the 'silent majority' of sane cyclists need to publish a letter to make it clear that CM are a fringe group, not representing the majority of cyclists.

yello

Perhaps the 'silent majority' of sane cyclists need to publish a letter to make it clear that CM are a fringe group, not representing the majority of cyclists.

How about meeting on the same night as Critical Mass (we could call it NOTCritical Mass) and block them as they attempt to ride?

In all seriousness, it wouldn't surprise me if those that already privately distance themselves from CM start to do so more publicly. Time for cyclists to reclaim reclaiming the streets!

Indeed. Takes two to tango and all that.

That said, you do have to wonder about the thinking behind going ahead with Critical Mass last night. Shows a distorted sense of priorities imho.

It seems from reports that about five times as many as usual turned up, they were asked not to go north of the river into the Olympics area but split up, crossed multiple bridges and then converged on Stratford at the peak of arrivals for the opening ceremony. I can't help thinking that there were a lot of non-critical massers there who were intent on disrupting the opening ceremony. And then they act all surprised that they are stopped.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
It seems from reports that about five times as many as usual turned up, they were asked not to go north of the river into the Olympics area but split up, crossed multiple bridges and then converged on Stratford at the peak of arrivals for the opening ceremony. I can't help thinking that there were a lot of non-critical massers there who were intent on disrupting the opening ceremony. And then they act all surprised that they are stopped.

Pretty much sums it up for me too......100 normally ride round parliament square and Oxford Street, but suddenly 500 turn up and decide they fancy a ride out to Stratford?

Ian Cooper

Expat Yorkshireman

As a proud anarchist, I kinda resent being characterized as 'scum'. Anarchists were the ones who made sure, at the cost of many of their lives, that people couldn't be required to work 16 hours a day. A little respect, based on the history of the movement and what it has done for us all, might be in order. I'm sure the Haymarket martyrs were derided as 'scum' too.

Not that I'm a fan of 'critical mass'. I think it's a juvenile event that can only harm the cause of cycling. But it's a lot more misguided and foolish than it is evil.

Durian

Über Member
No such thing as 'scum anarchists' any more than there are 'scum white people'. Anarchy is a very broad term that has been coloured by excitable news corps looking for something to scare people into buying newspapers.

"All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume.
Noam Chomsky"

Every Anarchist I know of is a lot more interested in pursuing peaceful self-reliance and community resilience than trying to punch policemen.

__________________________________________________________________________________
Sent from settee #2 - steel & wooden frame, deep padded seat, low profile DFS 2000 model.

There must be different levels of anarchist then. The group you describe sound as though they're the sort of anarchists who meet up over a bottle of wine and some pasta and think that whilst life is not great we're not actually going to do anything about it at the moment. Should things get worse then we might consider going in to the nearest town and cause a slight nuisance to vent our frustrations.

On the other hand, at the other end of the scale, there are anarchists who want to destroy everything about the current system and have no qualms about not just punching a policeman but sticking a knife in to them aswell. These are totally different people to your version of an anarchist.

So there are scum anarchists who are willing to cause mayhem when the opportunity arises, and there are anarchists, similar to yourself it seems, who prefer the non- violent approach.

Welcome to London 2012

Whether or not you agree with Critical Mass, this is simply the first of a series of samples where increased powers have been passed under the guise of Olympic Security, and none will b revoked following the games

jayonabike