Mass arrests 'Critical Mass' cycle ride during Olympics opening

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
:laugh: I demand the right to be pepper sprayed!

Well, disabled people are just as likely to be arses as able bodied...

yello

Well, disabled people are just as likely to be arses as able bodied...

True enough. One could certainly see that they might have more justification for being arses too. But that's another story.

Actually, in an arse-about-face sort of a way, I think I see what sabian92 was trying to say.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
As a proud anarchist, I kinda resent being characterized as 'scum'. Anarchists were the ones who made sure, at the cost of many of their lives, that people couldn't be required to work 16 hours a day. A little respect, based on the history of the movement and what it has done for us all, might be in order. I'm sure the Haymarket martyrs were derided as 'scum' too.

Not that I'm a fan of 'critical mass'. I think it's a juvenile event that can only harm the cause of cycling. But it's a lot more misguided and foolish than it is evil.

Yes!

__________________________________________________________________________________
Sent from settee #2 - steel & wooden frame, deep padded seat, low profile DFS 2000 model.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
There must be different levels of anarchist then. The group you describe sound as though they're the sort of anarchists who meet up over a bottle of wine and some pasta and think that whilst life is not great we're not actually going to do anything about it at the moment. Should things get worse then we might consider going in to the nearest town and cause a slight nuisance to vent our frustrations.

On the other hand, at the other end of the scale, there are anarchists who want to destroy everything about the current system and have no qualms about not just punching a policeman but sticking a knife in to them aswell. These are totally different people to your version of an anarchist.

So there are scum anarchists who are willing to cause mayhem when the opportunity arises, and there are anarchists, similar to yourself it seems, who prefer the non- violent approach.

My point was that almost by definition there is not set type of anarchist. The world has enough people who focus on negativity (I'm not referring to you btw), Bill and Ted had it right with their mantra of 'be excellent to each other'.

To quote NoFx (not always wise) please form your opinion of me by what I do, not what I am.

__________________________________________________________________________________
Sent from settee #2 - steel & wooden frame, deep padded seat, low profile DFS 2000 model.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
there was a point to be made and they made it simply enough. The Zil lanes aren't popular and aren't wanted - even by the Prime Minister. As demonstrations go it was a mild-mannered affair, but, sadly, Olympic Hysteria got the better of the police. Cue loads of arrests when it would have been better to simply wait it out.

I'm really sad I didn't go. 500 is a decent turnout by CM standards, and, while it's usually a bit disjointed, it's nice to know that they're capable of some joined up thinking.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
ever been on one?
Nope and to be fair I've only heard of them when they've attracted negative media coverage, but im entirely open to the idea that the vast majority of the events might be positive for those involved. Im not sure how it'll promote cycling though.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
CM was promoting cycling when you were in short trousers

It's irritating to read a lot of recycled Daily Wail nonsense from people who've absolutely no clue. CM makes the point that if there are enough of us we can go about the city in safety. Fifteen years ago people would say 'we like cyclists, but not all together'. Fifteen years on the point made by CM is proved right by thousands of cyclists going down CS7 every morning and evening.

Taking the protest to Stratford was a great idea. The Zil lanes are there for the very Olympic bigwigs who couldn't be arsed to turn up with their free tickets. That's a disgrace, and it's good to see cyclists making the point.

sabian92

Über Member
True enough. One could certainly see that they might have more justification for being arses too. But that's another story.

Actually, in an arse-about-face sort of a way, I think I see what sabian92 was trying to say.

I know it's a bit of a thing for some people, the whole "you can do this/that/the other because they're gay/disabled/black/white etc" but it really irritates me. I understand the want for disabled people to have equality - I have a learning disability myself - but you can't pick the good bits but then claim it's discrimination when somebody does something you don't agree with. I don't go around saying I'm immune from being arrested or pepper sprayed because i'm dyspraxic.

I'm not saying he deserved to be peppersprayed but if he did I would not be sympathetic based on the fact he's disabled.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Whilst I agree with that 100%, I would ask whether CM needed to re-make that point last night?
I think they were making a point about public space

Don't get me wrong. CMers aren't intellectuals. They simply have a visceral objection to the way space, particularly public space, is ordered. Riding en masse around the centre of London turns the street from something on the way from A to B in to theatre. People, tourists, commuters, revellers stop and applaud (the same thing happens to the night rides I organise).

The Olympics is about the privatisation of public space, whether it be a bit of the footpath in Park Lane, the Zil lanes or the Olympic Park itself. Put simply you and I can go to less places in London than in past times. That shouldn't go unremarked.

As a proud anarchist, I kinda resent being characterized as 'scum'. Anarchists were the ones who made sure, at the cost of many of their lives, that people couldn't be required to work 16 hours a day. A little respect, based on the history of the movement and what it has done for us all, might be in order. I'm sure the Haymarket martyrs were derided as 'scum' too.

Not that I'm a fan of 'critical mass'. I think it's a juvenile event that can only harm the cause of cycling. But it's a lot more misguided and foolish than it is evil.

As a proud policeman, I kinda resent being characterised as a 'heavy handed thug'. Police are the people who make sure, at the cost of many of their lives, that people can go about their day to day business with the best possible protection from lawlessness. A little respect, based on the history of British policing and what it has done for us all, might be in order. I'm sure the officers that policed the riots were derived as 'scum' too.

Not that I'm a fan of 'public order policing'. I think it's a lose lose situation that can only ever harm the view of policing. But it's a lot more "damned if you do and damned if you don't" than evil.

[Ian - no points directed at you! I just thought your eloquent post leant itself somewhat to my paraphrase!]

Top Bottom