Mass arrests 'Critical Mass' cycle ride during Olympics opening

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
But the discussion wasn't about green space, it was about public space.
Indeed, or even space to which the public can have lawful access, which differs considerably in terms of size and area. London and many other cities often have more land for public recreation than say the National Parks, where your access is conditional and linear.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
London = concrete jungle.

Sorry pubrunner, but to use the vernacular that I've endured over the last few pages, that's utter Bollocks. I know this because I'm in the habit of flying around a bit and regularly fly over central London and it's remarkably green and full of open park spaces and small intimate squares. In fact it IS the very greenness of London that is most remarkable as we descend into Heathrow. What's more it extends all the way to the suburbs. I give you this in the midst of Merton, a few mins walk from Morden Tube:
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Morden+Hall+Park&FORM=HDRSC2#x0y374
But not far from there is Wimbledon Common, Mitcham common and Fair green, Streatham common, Parks of Sutton, there are trout in the Wandle, yadda yadda yadda
There may of course be capital cities with more green open space than London, but not many ... a concrete jungle it aint.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Sorry pubrunner, but to use the vernacular that I've endured over the last few pages, that's utter Bollocks. I know this because I'm in the habit of flying around a bit and regularly fly over central London and it's remarkably green and full of open park spaces and small intimate squares. In fact it IS the very greenness of London that is most remarkable as we descend into Heathrow. What's more it extends all the way to the suburbs. I give you this in the midst of Merton, a few mins walk from Morden Tube:
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Morden Hall Park&FORM=HDRSC2#x0y374
But not far from there is Wimbledon Common, Mitcham common and Fair green, Streatham common, Parks of Sutton, there are trout in the Wandle, yadda yadda yadda
There may of course be capital cities with more green open space than London, but not many ... a concrete jungle it aint.

100% agreed.
Bormley is one of the most greenest of all the London boroughs. It has an amazing amount of parks and greenbelt countryside.

On another note, my first wedding was in Morden Hall Park.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
In fact London's greenness is one of the things that tourists most frequently comment favourably on. When I lived in 'the Smoke' I used to enjoy walking from the Princess Di memorial park thingy in one corner of Hyde Park, across Hyde Park Corner, into Green Park then into St James's park and end up at Horseguards. A lovely long walk, totally in parkland (apart fromcrossing HPC). :smile:

pubrunner

Legendary Member
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Morden Hall Park&FORM=HDRSC2#x0y374

No, I'm not wrong !

It is a merely matter of perspective; from my perspective London is a concrete jungle. I'm certain that there are many who would share that opinion - those living in less built-up areas. Sure, there are parks in London and some may even have a trout stream (gasp!); but if you are used to living in the countryside, London can seem to be very claustrophobic.

When country oiks :smile: such as myself, do venture to London, we particularly notice how built-up it is . . . . . . . we barely notice the patches of green that some would believe to be countryside. We don't think "Wow, such verdant countryside", we think, "Buildings everywhere !". Admittedly, a fair few of the buildings are very pleasant, but that's not the point.

As I've already mentioned, it is a matter of perspective. Those living in even more built-up areas than London, may consider it to encapsulate the best of the English countryside; but those already living in the country, consider it to be a 'concrete jungle'.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Pubbers just doesn't "get" London, in the same way that Linf doesn't "get"... well, anything much, really. He's a hopeless bumpkin, but quite a decent hill-climber. :smile:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
No, I'm not wrong !

When country oiks :smile: such as myself, do venture to London, we particularly notice how built-up it is . . . . . . . we barely notice the patches of green that some would believe to be countryside. We don't think "Wow, such verdant countryside", we think, "Buildings everywhere !". Admittedly, a fair few of the buildings are very pleasant, but that's not the point.

As I've already mentioned, it is a matter of perspective. Those living in even more built-up areas than London, may consider it to encapsulate the best of the English countryside; but those already living in the country, consider it to be a 'concrete jungle'.

:scratch:Cities full of buildings shocker ..... (and btw, I'm a Devon Bumpkin), so I'm part of your 'we' and on balance I still call you wrong. I flew back from Shenzhen China this morning, now that IS a concrete Jungle, unremitting high-rise concrete, but in no way is London anything like on that scale. I appreciate your POV but couldn't agree less.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
. . . . . . . in the same way that Linf doesn't "get"... well, anything much, really. He's a hopeless bumpkin, but quite a decent hill-climber. :smile:

You've been cycling with Linf ? I didn't think he did any cycling.

subaqua

What’s the point
[QUOTE 1961596, member: 45"]There are green parts, but the bit I struggled with when I lived in London is that it's so far to any countryside.[/quote]

what , all of 5 miles is too far to go to be in the countryside. High Beach in epping forest is about as countryside as you can get and thats 5 miles from me . epping forest proper is 500 yds from my front door which is less than a mile from the olympic park . the forests fingers reach right down to forest gate , capel road and a lovely pub "the fleece"

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Indeed, or even space to which the public can have lawful access, which differs considerably in terms of size and area. London and many other cities often have more land for public recreation than say the National Parks, where your access is conditional and linear.

That's changed a lot since 'right to roam' was adopted and access land opened up

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
[QUOTE 1961596, member: 45"]There are green parts, but the bit I struggled with when I lived in London is that it's so far to any countryside.[/quote]

what , all of 5 miles is too far to go to be in the countryside. High Beach in epping forest is about as countryside as you can get and thats 5 miles from me . epping forest proper is 500 yds from my front door which is less than a mile from the olympic park . the forests fingers reach right down to forest gate , capel road and a lovely pub "the fleece"

I live in London and countryside is less then 1 mile away.

Top Bottom