Mass arrests 'Critical Mass' cycle ride during Olympics opening

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan B

Disengaged member
what , all of 5 miles is too far to go to be in the countryside. High Beach in epping forest is about as countryside as you can get and thats 5 miles from me
yebbut, the standard of driving makes it really rather unpleasant as cycling country

The Dun Run becomes a much nicer ride once it gets out of boy racer territory

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
[QUOTE 1964406, member: 45"]You're not a proper Londoner though Ian. I was a real pearly.

I'm talking proper countryside. Cows and smells.[/quote]

I'm lucky that I do live so near to countryside. Cows and smells 'n all.
However, nowhere in London is more then 15 miles from countryside.

perplexed

Guru
[QUOTE 1964480, member: 45"]I know, I know. Sheesh you Londoners are defensive.

All I'm saying is that it's far nicer in the rest of the country. Apart perhaps from Halesowen.[/quote]

You do know that Halesowen doesn't actually exist don't you?

It was an invention made up by Kidderminster parents to frighten their kids into obedience...

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
[QUOTE 1961596, member: 45"]There are green parts, but the bit I struggled with when I lived in London is that it's so far to any countryside.[/quote]

I dunno, I live in South london, 15 mins into town (30 on the bike) and about 40 mins cycle to the countryside (mostly through suburban areas).

Of course, if you were one of those folks with more money than sense who insist on living north of the river... :whistle:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Rumour on social media seems to be that the London CM-ers are going to have another trip to Stratford ?next Friday? to memorialise the poor bugger that died the other evening.

That could end up being very messy.

paddy01

Just read the whole thread.

Revelatory.

Dell looks bog all like I imagined from lurking in P&L.

Must try and work out how to explain to the wife that I want to take a train from East Devon to London, ride through the night to somewhere else then come back so I can put a tick in the Fnrtttc box. No matter what way I put it together in my head it doesn't sound right.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
The people that will ride are doing so not for the poor lad that died, although his death is vital to draw attention, but I would say they're doing it to try and prevent further deaths on the roads - and being cyclists that immediately increases the chances of any such death being theirs - so I can see why they would use his passing despite pleas not to.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
However, nowhere in London is more then 15 miles from countryside.

I remember when I was living in London (Swiss Cottage) it was at least an hour's ride to the nearest countryside. Even then it was fairly poor quality ( lots horsey culture etc somewhere around Barnet I think) rather than pasture/ fields/ hedgerows/ woodland etc. I used to go there anyway regularly just to look at a few fields for a bit even though it was a bloody awful ride to get there. There were some decent areas north of Potters Bar I could just about reach but that must have been 1.5/ 2 hours away or so. It did my head in and I couldn't wait to escape!

subaqua

What’s the point
Especially for his family, who have been pleading for his death not to be taken up by campaigners and the media :sad:

so we shouldn't campaign about a really crap junction general road layout in that area that puts cyclists in danger . the management of the roads and cycle routes round the park has been farcical at best. closing a towpath that gave a great safe off road cycle route certainly didn't help.I hated having to ride that redesign as it was worse than the original road layout. and when the westfield link road was added it got even worse. cars at you from left and right

Top Bottom