Mastering replacing inner tubes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
By multiple punctures I assume you mean on the one ride, or straight after fixing one.
Very rarely, as I check the tyre for debris carefully, so the two carried tubes are usually fine to do just do a swap.
I once had a hell of a lot of punctures on a ride Oxford to London with a pal so was reduced to doing multiple roadside repairs. He was very patient. That may have possibly been caused by a spoke/rim tape failure.
Very important when you get a puncture to check which side of the tube has punctured - rim or tyre side.

If I've ridden through anything dodgy looking I often stop to turn the bike over
Yes I did mean on one ride. I've experienced the same person having three on a ride. Whenever someone punctures on a group ride I inspect my tyres while the tube is being changed, there's always the chance I'll have hit the same rubbish.

Only multiple I've had was on the pothole incident above. I should have taken avoiding action as it was full of water which I took to be a puddle. Stupid! When I saw it dried out a few weeks later I was lucky to have stayed upright!! :blink:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Reading through this there seem to be a few tales of multiple punctures and concerns about having these. Does this really happen to folk?

If I get one a year I consider it a bad do. I once went seven years without a puncture. This year I've had four - a double puncture when I hit a very deep pothole at speed and two occasions when I hit glass which shredded the tyres. Highly unusual for me to suffer like this.

Yes it does happen. Relying on the fix being a spare tube and nothing else is a risk you take. If you are happy to walk or call a taxi on getting a second puncture that’s your call. Personally carrying a patch kit you can use is no biggie.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Reading through this there seem to be a few tales of multiple punctures and concerns about having these. Does this really happen to folk?
I've had front and back go at the same time a couple of times, especially when cornering which I guess is because the back tyre isn't following any path "cleared" by the front.

My record on one ride was five, but that was a piece of wire that had got between rubber and canvas and returned there between punctures, undetectable until I noticed the bubbled canvas when examining the tyre very very closely after walking the last 2 or so miles home. It was the back tyre, of course.

If I've ridden through anything dodgy looking I often stop to turn the bike over
Don't turn the bike over: the magic will fall out! Always keep the rubber side down.

vickster

Legendary Member
I had two on one ride, front and rear riding over a brick or lump of metal at speed that I couldn't avoid. Very irritating!

OP
OP
bobsinatra

bobsinatra

Über Member
I took bike out and managed to repair the damaged old inner tube.

My rear inner tube was the issue. And whilst it held up for a 20 mile cycle, when I press my thumb on the tyre, I can move it inwards.

My front wheel I can't do that as it is rock hard.

Wanted to check that the tyre looks ok and refit ok.

Video attached and picture attached.

View: https://youtu.be/Ms9mHkBXntY

Attachments

• 20201130_143721.jpg
    20201130_143721.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 7

GoldenLamprey

if this is helpful, it might seem like overkill but aside from (2) regular plastic levers I also carry these items that make it easier for me

(1) Speedier Lever

(1) Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack

(2) toe straps but any straps will do) - these keep part of the tire on the rim, down in the channel, while I work on the rest of the tire bead (especially helpful w/ tough winter tires) (I keep a set of all in my rack trunk & another set of all in my basement)

View attachment 560937

There are several threads complaining about the difficulty of fitting tyres to current Triban bike wheels, and then people voluntarily choose tyres that need this sort of effort! Amazing!

Wanted to check that the tyre looks ok and refit ok.
I can't see much in the photo. in the video the ring around the edge might be a little uneven. how does it look when you spin it quickly? sometimes after mounting a tire, if I doubt it's even all around, is I let some air out, massage it all around so it looks even then slowly inflate it & massage it if one area looks higher or lower. regarding how hard it feels, use a guage to measure. I like the front lower than the rear since the rear carries more weight. I'm sure we can start a whole new thread just for tire pressure & the offset from front to rear ... ;-)

OP
OP
bobsinatra

bobsinatra

Über Member
I can't see much in the photo. in the video the ring around the edge might be a little uneven. how does it look when you spin it quickly? sometimes after mounting a tire, if I doubt it's even all around, is I let some air out, massage it all around so it looks even then slowly inflate it & massage it if one area looks higher or lower. regarding how hard it feels, use a guage to measure. I like the front lower than the rear since the rear carries more weight. I'm sure we can start a whole new thread just for tire pressure & the offset from front to rear ... ;-)

Thanks for the tips.

I am seeing my bike mechanic tomorrow and will get a second opinion.

Least it stayed up, as I got a pinch flat with the last inner tube I did.

Slowly getting there :becool:

Top Bottom