Mastering replacing inner tubes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I always bin punctured tubes unless I'm stranded without a new one. You'll get many different responses! I have an irrational worry that if I'm reliant on a patched tube it's more likely to fail on me.

I don't like to ride with unnecessary worries.
properly patched tubes, if you use decent patches, like rema tip top, are as strong as, if not stronger than the original tube. I've got patches that are way over 10 years old. It's important of course to test anything you patch.

screenman

Legendary Member
properly patched tubes, if you use decent patches, like rema tip top, are as strong as, if not stronger than the original tube. I've got patches that are way over 10 years old. It's important of course to test anything you patch.

Most of my bikes are not even 10 years old, I tend to change my tubes every few years even if they are not punctured, I have started giving these away to people pushing bikes on the Sustrans route behind my house, after giving new ones away for many years without once being paid I thought this would be a cheaper option.

Lovacott

Ãœber Member
I always bin punctured tubes unless I'm stranded without a new one. You'll get many different responses! I have an irrational worry that if I'm reliant on a patched tube it's more likely to fail on me.
I carry a brand new tube in my saddle bag and a repaired tube in my pannier box. I also carry a traditional puncture repair kit (patch and glue).

I'm all good for around eight punctures on a single trip but I reckon I'd give up bikes forever if I got more than two in a ten mile stretch.

Lovacott

Ãœber Member
When you get the punctured tube out make sure you don't flip to over, but keep it in the same orientation it was on the wheel. Pump up the tube and you can usually see the puncture easily. Line up the tube over the wheel and that will give you a good idea of where the thorn went into the tyre. Makes it easy to find and remove the damn thing!
I do the above but I had one puncture back in September where I couldn't find anything sharp in the tyre. I put in a new tube and carried on with no issues.

When I got home, I decided to repair the punctured tube and I noticed it had a small lump in it. The thorn had punctured the tube and broken off inside of it. That tube ended up in the bin.

Lovacott

Ãœber Member
I've found most beads stretch a bit after the tire has been used and has gone on and off few times.

I find that after a couple of tube changes on a tyre, I can get the tyre off the rim using just my fingers.

But if I need to use levers, I use my metal set which I've had for donkeys years.

Lovacott

Ãœber Member
sorry, this is one of the maddest things I've ever heard.
Don't go anywhere near a particularly rich surgeon.
Inner tube rubber is incredibly durable.

Firestone don't just make tyres and inner tubes. They also sell the inner tube rubber as part of a flat roofing system.

Brilliant stuff, really easy to fit, lasts pretty much forever.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9BRkVAPIiw

Lovacott

Ãœber Member
I was only saying what I do, I do know tubes can last a very long time.
I don't think I've ever had an inner tube for more than a year apart from the two on my sons old bike out in the shed. One of them is flat and the other is soft (which isn't bad for a bike which hasn't been touched for five years)..

RichardB

Slightly retro
+1 to comments about checking the inside of the tyre before replacing the tube. If you've got a bit of cloth to hand, use that instead of your fingers. You'll feel the cloth snag on the sharp, but you won't shred your fingertips doing so.

I was only saying what I do, I do know tubes can last a very long time.
quite - they can and do.

Of course even us patchers have to let some tubes go - maybe because of a snakebite puncture or a failure near the valve - but to prove their toughness some folk have then pressed them into service for this:

https://www.instructables.com/Eco-Vegan-Inner-Tube-Flogger/

which is even more arduous than sitting inside your tyres.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
A traditional puncture repair done well lasts for years. Self adhesive patches are not as durable and should only be used as a last resort.
or a quick fix to get you moving again in under 5 minutes. Can generally be removed and repaired with solution at the end of the ride, although some report the better instant patches like Park Tools lasting over a year, until the tube was replaced for other reasons.

Top Bottom