Masters competitor busted for hidden electric motor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaijintendo

Veteran
To all the people who are perplexed at why someone would do this. Some people enjoy cheating and getting away with it. Being third, or an undeserved 20th and getting away with it might be the win they needed.

I would suggest this is more likely a scenario in amateur racing at the age of 53, than a professional racing environment. But who knows

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
You'd never think anything was concealed in such a slim down tube :laugh:
Why are they wasting money on fancy heat detection equipment? All they need to do is look out for bikes with Vivax written on them in massive lettering.

ETA: Although I don't think there's anything actually in the downtube. The motor's in the seat tube with the battery either in a bottle or hidden in the seatpost.

ETA2: The battery's in the bottle. The controller's in the seatpost.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
The very early days of WAP mobile phones, about 1998, I was on a team who cheated in pub quizes. The team was called "Volvo - Boxy But Good" (by pure fluke we all had Volvos), and my wealthy mate would use his Nokia 7110 to sneakily find the answers to gnarly questions.

I recall we drank a lot of free Guinness. Nice to think were were pioneers of early e-crime.

U

User169

The very early days of WAP mobile phones, about 1998, I was on a team who cheated in pub quizes. The team was called "Volvo - Boxy But Good" (by pure fluke we all had Volvos), and my wealthy mate would use his Nokia 7110 to sneakily find the answers to gnarly questions.

I recall we drank a lot of free Guinness. Nice to think were were pioneers of early e-crime.

Your punishment was to drink guinness.

Slick

Guru
To all the people who are perplexed at why someone would do this. Some people enjoy cheating and getting away with it. Being third, or an undeserved 20th and getting away with it might be the win they needed.

I would suggest this is more likely a scenario in amateur racing at the age of 53, than a professional racing environment. But who knows
I think you are exactly right. I know one guy in particular who no matter what the reward or lack thereof, will cheat his way to some advantage, for no other reason than he can.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Crap journalism alert.. the motor was supposedly hidden in the seat tube yet the thermal image in the linked article is of a warm rear wheel.

It's the (customer driven) picture book mentality - everything has to have images.

The photo of the lad scanning the Cube bike with his tablet is nothing directly to do with the story either.

Photos of the story itself may not be available, or the (free) website lacks the resources to get them, so they have to resort to 'stock' images, given that no one would read the story if it was text only.

OP
OP
C

Cronorider

Crap journalism alert.. the motor was supposedly hidden in the seat tube yet the thermal image in the linked article is of a warm rear wheel.

It's unlikely that there would have been news coverage of the event at the time, so they report the story, and throw in a couple of stock images to attract attention. Basic facts in the story are correct though as far as I can tell.

Top Bottom