Matching shoes to my pedals???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Porknz

I'm looking to find a black friday deal on my first pair of clipless shoes. I have crank brothers doubleshot 2's. How do I find shoes that will work with these pedals? Thanks for any help!

They're SPD style mtb pedals so you want MTB style shoes.

They'll have two holes rather than the three you get for look style road cleats. And they'll say SPD cleat shoes.

Like these from Planet X.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/clothing/footwear/mountain-bike-shoes

OP
OP
P

Porknz

I ride road, not mtb, so I'm wondering about 'gravel' shoes. I have a gravel bike. Would shoes like the Giro rincon or sector work? Thanks.

vickster

Legendary Member
If they have 2 holes not 3, yes
Do you have links?
Looks like the Rincon and Sector marketed as an MTB shoes anyhow. Not sure how a gravel shoe is different?
You can wear any shoes on any bike ultimately

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Porknz

I guess I think of mtb shoe as something chunkier that looks like it belongs on a skateboard. :smile:

icowden

Veteran
I guess I think of mtb shoe as something chunkier that looks like it belongs on a skateboard. :smile:

Nah. mtb shoes are great for road too. The usual difference is that the sole has some treads which recess the cleat. It means you can actually walk in the shoes without doing the penguin walk that you see road shoe wearers doing.

I think the click in / out mechanism is a bit more forgiving as well.

If you have wide feet, i thoroughly recommend Lakes

OP
OP
P

Porknz

Okay thanks. I'll give mtb searches a go too then. Hoping to find something on a good black friday deal. :smile:

icowden

Veteran
Okay thanks. I'll give mtb searches a go too then. Hoping to find something on a good black friday deal. :smile:

These are what I wear. I have penguin feet - very wide and high instep. If you look at the pics you will see the sole - two holes for the cleat.

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Lake/MX176-Wide-MTB-Shoes/MLG2

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I would endorse the quality of the Lakes, I have 2 pairs of the same model but the Road variant. Black and white. Also obtained fromSigma sports who have an excellent range of Lake shoes and often do some great deals.

I ride road, not mtb, so I'm wondering about 'gravel' shoes. I have a gravel bike. Would shoes like the Giro rincon or sector work? Thanks.
I ride road 99% of the time too.
Usually in MTB style shoes as they're less slippy at cafe stops.

Venod

Eh up
I don't understand why anybody still wears shoes with protruding cleats that are difficult to walk in, you can get SPD two hole shoes with the same construction of so called road shoes but you can walk in them, the only difference being a few grams in weight for the soles, they also allow the use of double sided pedals IMO the easiest to use.
I started with road clipless when they first came out, I used Look pedals for many years, so have extensive experience of both systems, I won't be going back.

Top Bottom