Matching shoes to my pedals???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

newts

Veteran
These are what I wear. I have penguin feet - very wide and high instep. If you look at the pics you will see the sole - two holes for the cleat.

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Lake/MX176-Wide-MTB-Shoes/MLG2

The MX176 are very comfortable for those of us with very wide feet 👍 & almost half the price I paid at Sigma 6 months ago🙄

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Cheap shoes with SPD will lead to 'hot foot' areas, you get what you pay for.
indeed although the same can be said for cheap road shoes, i find once you get over £50 your ok but muddy fox/aldi/lidl specials are dire and i have had a few of them crack across the sole plate.

anyway back to the op, make sure you get the right cleats for the pedals as crank bros use a different cleat to shimano

indeed although the same can be said for cheap road shoes, i find once you get over £50 your ok but muddy fox/aldi/lidl specials are dire and i have had a few of them crack across the sole plate.

anyway back to the op, make sure you get the right cleats for the pedals as crank bros use a different cleat to shimano
Shouldn't the cleats have come with the pedals ?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I don't understand why anybody still wears shoes with protruding cleats that are difficult to walk in,
And they wear out faster ...

It could just be inertia. You soon get used to small minor inconveniences like walking in cleats.

I've always used 2 bolt and I had this conversation with a friend. I was extolling the virtues of 2bolt and he said although he did think about giving them a go sometimes he had never got around to it. And he already had the 3bolt gear and didn't do much walking in cycling shoes and didn't find it particularly difficult. So his view was "if it ain't broke".

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
at pro level "minimal gains" you do gain a few extra watts with 3 bolt but for mere mortals studies have shown theres not enough difference to worry about.
tradition has a lot to do with it as thev1st clipless shoes by look in the mid 80s were 3 bolt and then in 1990 shimano released spd.
smaller entry level spd pedals like the m520 are reckoned mtb to offer as large a contact area compared to road pedals although i cant say i have had issues i do tend to run pedals like m530 or a 600 which do have a larger pedal face for bigger rides but i have done numerous club and centurys with m520s

byegad

Legendary Member
I use Crank Bros pedals and any SPD shoe works well, but remember that the CB cleats are slightly different from the SPDs. SPD cleats may well force into a CB pedal, but won't come out. the shoe fitting is identical.

Mike_P

Guru
Shimano do make an adaptor to allow 2 bolt cleats to be used with 3/5 bolt shoes SH-SM41

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
But you’ll still potentially end up breaking your neck due to non recessed cleats?
I thought that, but if you look at the adapters they have raised ridges either side of the metal cleat so when you walk in them the cleat doesn't contact the floor

vickster

Legendary Member
No but they still sit proud surely, not level with toe and heel. Why not just get proper 2 bolt hole shoes if you have 2 bolt pedals/cleats?

Mike_P

Guru
I have used the adapters on road shoes and had no problems but then I do take a 10; suppose they could be an issue in terms of unlevelness with smaller shoes.

Top Bottom