Mate got hit by car, mrs not keen on me cycling anymore...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I have seen people cross the road on a 20mph limit while they were crossing some nitwit comes roaring up the road hits the brakes and screams at them to gtfo the road, ignoring the fact that a ped already crossing has priority.

But what's the point in telling them their error you get called every name under the sun as the moron is obviously correct.
This is rumoured to be made even clearer in the next (recently-consulted-on) Highway Code edition and given some teeth and an ad campaign... but fark knows when that will be. There seems to be no hurry as there's only three times as many cyclists and walkers as in 2019 and it's only people's health...

I'm not sure how a radar light works any better than a regular LED light.
As I understand it, they flash a little faster/bright when a car is approaching and beep or display to let the rider know. Presumably if it shows the car coming straight for you, then you can ride off into the ditch or hedge?

[...] Having mirror on my helmet is far more useful than a Garmin display. I'm not in constant fear of being hit.
OK, but if you are hit or fall, then you've a mirror ready-positioned to stab your face?

Cycling_Samurai

Main issue here (UK) is 90% of the cycling infrastructure I have seen just sucks, it's added at a later date and it's implemented in a 1/2 assed fashion.

My holidays in the Netherlands and France were such a wake up call, I could cycle all day there it's bliss.
Most cycling lanes and paths here are after thoughts. I seriously hate the inconsistencies in the implementation.

Cycling_Samurai

As I understand it, they flash a little faster/bright when a car is approaching and beep or display to let the rider know. Presumably if it shows the car coming straight for you, then you can ride off into the ditch or hedge?

OK, but if you are hit or fall, then you've a mirror ready-positioned to stab your face?
Getting brighter is useful but will drain the battery quicker. I have an LED that acts like a brake lamp via motion sensors and will last 16 hours.

The mirror is positioned on the helmet up and out of my face. It is more likely to bend up over the helmet or out to the side than do an odd angle bend straight onto my face. If I were hit by a vehicle with such force as to cause that mirror to bend around and stab my face, I would have much more injury to be concerned about than the prospect of injury from the mirror.

Johnno260

Veteran

Mine I get an audio warning, and a visual on on the head unit with screen flashes for ok speed and red for muppet inc, you also get a visual clue on the screen for the distance.

Like you said the light flashes faster for the car, also mine adjusts to the conditions and I was told glows bright if I hit the brakes.

Cycling_Samurai

Mine I get an audio warning, and a visual on on the head unit with screen flashes for ok speed and red for muppet inc, you also get a visual clue on the screen for the distance.

Like you said the light flashes faster for the car, also mine adjusts to the conditions and I was told glows bright if I hit the brakes.
Hey I'm don't mean to discourage you. You made a good purchase and I hope it serves you well. I like my security options. That Garmin would require that I take off my seatpost bag and would be a nuisance as I travel with a lot of traffic except if on early morning rides. My seatpost bag is for holding my mobile and has a reflector attached. It also is where my LED attaches.

My mirror keeps me from having to do an over the shoulder check once positioned correctly. Definitely allows me to keep an eye on traffic behind me without taking eyes off of what's in front of me. Forgot to mention that my helmet has a face shield. Which is good for blocking UV but also rain. And perhaps the mirror from poking me in the face if such an accident were to occur.

Last edited:

Johnno260

Veteran
Hey I'm don't mean to discourage you. You made a good purchase and I hope it serves you well. I like my security options. That Garmin would require that I take off my seatpost bag and would be a nuisance as I travel with a lot of traffic except if on early morning rides. My seatpost bag is for holding my mobile and has a reflector attached. It also is where my LED attaches.

My mirror keeps me from having to do an over the shoulder check once positioned correctly. Definitely allows me to keep an eye on traffic behind me without taking eyes off of what's in front of me. Forgot to mention that my helmet has a face shield. Which is good for blocking UV but also rain. And perhaps the mirror from poking me in the face if such an accident were to occur.

Not at all QR release mount is available.

if I move it up it still works unhindered.

heavy traffic it would drive you nuts, the days I commute it’s all rural except when I hit Tunbridge Wells.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Both times I've been knocked off - I was riding my cheap hack bike.

The moral of the story is clear - buy some more expensive bikes and you should be ok.

Cycling_Samurai

This is why I no longer ride my bicycle in the living room.
I was thinking of doing a 20 mile trip in the living room but now that it's pointed out as being more dangerous I'll just go on my normal route for safety. 😉

united4ever

Über Member
Hate roundabouts as a cyclist. Even if you are on the roundabout and can see the car approaching the roundabout entrance there is always that doubt that they may not stop. But hesitating yourself and giving way when you have right of way is obviously more dangerous.

To OP I would say try to avoid big or particularly sketchy junctions/roundabouts or dismount and cross as a pedestrian maybe at first and then either continue like that or ease back into navigating them when you feel ready but plan routes that avoid these junctions if you know the area. Just steps like that can minimise risk.

simongt

Guru
90% of the cycling infrastructure I have seen just sucks,
And to think that many years ago, when the Govt. of the time was proposing the construction of separate cycleways, the CTC kicked off against it because they objected to cyclists being separated from motor traffic - ! :laugh:

And to think that many years ago, when the Govt. of the time was proposing the construction of separate cycleways, the CTC kicked off against it because they objected to cyclists being separated from motor traffic - ! :laugh:
That was largely because:

Main issue here (UK) is 90% of the cycling infrastructure I have seen just sucks, it's added at a later date and it's implemented in a 1/2 assed fashion.
CUK (was CTC) are now completely behind infrastrcutre, but they don't insist on separation.

Painted white lanes do nothing to make me safer on a road.

Johnno260

Veteran
That was largely because:

CUK (was CTC) are now completely behind infrastrcutre, but they don't insist on separation.

Painted white lanes do nothing to make me safer on a road.

I think painted lines on a road actually cause more issue, as some road users see it as space taken from them.

I had many an argument with people I work with, I'm regarded in a pretty poor light being a roadie, I don't pay tax (this one always cracks me up), I don't have insurance, the roads were built for cars go ride in a park.

When I got cut up while I was on a roundabout near my workplace I was told it was my fault for using a bike, not the moron who didn't give way to someone with right of way.

Many peoples attitudes need to change, before proper change can happen in my opinion.

Cycling_Samurai

I think painted lines on a road actually cause more issue, as some road users see it as space taken from them.

I had many an argument with people I work with, I'm regarded in a pretty poor light being a roadie, I don't pay tax (this one always cracks me up), I don't have insurance, the roads were built for cars go ride in a park.

When I got cut up while I was on a roundabout near my workplace I was told it was my fault for using a bike, not the moron who didn't give way to someone with right of way.

Many peoples attitudes need to change, before proper change can happen in my opinion.
Morons the whole lot.

I don't agree with the "painted lines" bit. Boundaries are a part of society and written in the rule of law. Without lines talk of bike lanes is codswallop.

Last edited:
Top Bottom