Maths Help Needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Kovu said:
It IS odd !

:biggrin:

OP
OP
ChrisKH

ChrisKH

Guru
By the sound of it, my six year old can take us lot to the cleaners! :biggrin:

I'd best get his 11+ tutor booked now then.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I know nothing about zero, but...

My sister used to wake my Mum or Dad in the night with questions like that, when she was less than 5. Once it was "How old were you when you were my age?" and another time "Is the Earth a planet?"

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
As it says in the wikipedia article it is even (and what people have against Maths wikipedia articles I don't know, I've contributed to some of them). If it weren't it would mess up a lot of minor results in group theory that are then used elsewhere.

If people want to know about zero I recommend learning some set theory. If you son wants another argument ask him whether zero is or isn't a natural number, there's not much of a consensus on that one.

cisamcgu said:
or to put it another way:
divide an odd number(x) by 2 and you get a remainder of 0.5

divide 0 by 2 and you don't get any remainder !

Therefore 0 is even

It would be more rigorous to use modular arithmetic.

Kovu

Über Member
Arch said:
I know nothing about zero, but...

My sister used to wake my Mum or Dad in the night with questions like that, when she was less than 5. Once it was "How old were you when you were my age?" and another time "Is the Earth a planet?"

That's not as bad as me. Holiday trip when I didn't think about what i was saying, i asked such gems as 'Is the Scottish boarder really one mile long?", "Do I need a passport?", "Why don't I feel as Scottish as I should do?" and "No one sounds Scottish here." Last wasn't a question I know.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Since others have provided correct answers I'll help you with your English homework. "Threw" is the correct word.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
marinyork said:
It would be more rigorous to use modular arithmetic.

Perhaps (if I even knew what that meant) .. but, I thought my logic wasn't too bad. However, I acknowledge my less than deep understanding. Sorry

Kovu

Über Member
cisamcgu said:
Perhaps (if I even knew what that meant) .. but, I thought my logic wasn't too bad. However, I acknowledge my less than deep understanding. Sorry

I thought you bolding the 'IS' to make your point was an excellant arguementative tool also. :biggrin:

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Kovu said:
I thought you bolding the 'IS' to make your point was an excellant arguementative tool also. :biggrin:

Hey .. if you are talking about font manipulation, then I AM
the master, but in matters of maths I am a mere ..errrrr... minion :biggrin:

Top Bottom