Mavic Aksium knackered after 2600km

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

straas

Matt
I bought a set of Mavic Aksiums from Evans in January.

Over the last couple of days the rear brake has felt like it catches when braking - hard to describe but almost like ABS in a car if that makes sense.

Assumed it was out of true so got it on the stand this evening, to find the rim on the non driveside has warped in one place, causing a lip on the outer rim and a concave braking surface.

Hard to see in the photo.

Is this a warranty job? The wheels have only been on for 8 months, I expected a lot more out of them??

Matts-bike-wheel.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I can see what you mean from the pic. Very disappointing, I'd take it up with Evans.

They are at the ‘budget’ end of Mavic’s range. You could approach Mavic, they’re not unreasonable in my experience. I don’t know ( nor do they ) exactly how the wheel has been used. But try them anyway, see what happens.

OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
I've filled in the warranty form on their website - £165 for half a year isn't that budget IMO! I went for them as I'd heard they are bulletproof, and the Manchester roads aren't brilliant.

What you see there is contamination on the rim and a hefty deposit of rubber sticking to the contamination. Use steel wool and clean the rim nicely. Clean the brake pads too.
Go for a ride, drink a beer and forget about bullets, what end of the money spectrum the wheels are and, expectations. This is an everyday occurrence.

That`s not right. I had a pair of these, I did approx 3 years club riding, LEJOG, some commuting, and I gave them away to a mate of mine who has been doing a steady 40 miles/week for the last 5 years or so. I had one spoke replaced in the time that I owned them (and it was me that broke it.....) and he has had to do nothing with them apart from normal maintenance

the snail

Guru
I've filled in the warranty form on their website - £165 for half a year isn't that budget IMO! I went for them as I'd heard they are bulletproof, and the Manchester roads aren't brilliant.
Good luck with the warranty claim, but it looks like you have worn the rim, probably due to grit on the pads. Have a look at the pads and see if there are particles of grit/aluminium embedded in them - if so then it's a maintenance issue. Probably should use your front brake more if the rear is wearing faster than the front.

Good luck with the warranty claim, but it looks like you have worn the rim, probably due to grit on the pads. Have a look at the pads and see if there are particles of grit/aluminium embedded in them - if so then it's a maintenance issue. Probably should use your front brake more if the rear is wearing faster than the front.
There's virtually no wear on that rim. The brake track indicator is still there and nice and black, as it is intended to be.

It is rubber contamination.

OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
The toppermost black line is marker pen - I couldn't find my chalk for truing (when I thought it was still a truing issue)

Not easy to make out in the photo, but a bit of a clean won't sort it out, the top of the rim is bulging outward.

Brake pads are clean enough - I use kool stops which don't pick up much metal.

The toppermost black line is marker pen - I couldn't find my chalk for truing (when I thought it was still a truing issue)

Not easy to make out in the photo, but a bit of a clean won't sort it out, the top of the rim is bulging outward.

Brake pads are clean enough - I use kool stops which don't pick up much metal.

Time for another perspective. Take a photo, showing a straight-edge placed next to the rim.

OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
Not at home at the moment, but here's another - hard to make out but the left rim is slightly folded toward the left for a small section

IMG-20190905-202029215.jpg

I imagine the braking surface has thinned due to wear, and the thinnest arc has bent outwards. Did you happen to notice this after re-inflating the tyre? I managed this once and at a lower milage than yours, however the application was mtb in Hamsterley Forest, that has sandstone geology.

Top Bottom