Mavic Aksium wheel set

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodbutcher

Veteran
This is new territory for me and l have no idea if these wheels are ok or rubbish so all advice/opinions are welcome . There is a 2017 set for sale here and just wondered if they would be worth buying for a future build ? The photo doesn't really help, l think the seller is trying to disguise them as a pile of leaves ^_^
60916286_1172661139580818_5990265847795417088_n.jpg

Aksiums are OK. Just OK.

U

User6179

My LBS won't true them as they're too basic and a pain

They are super easy to true, the problem is the nipples can seize up and when you go to true the wheels the nipples round off.

I have used Aksiums for about 7 years but I wouldn't buy a second hand pair, especially one that has been used through the winter.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
They are super easy to true, the problem is the nipples can seize up and when you go to true the wheels the nipples round off.

I have used Aksiums for about 7 years but I wouldn't buy a second hand pair, especially one that has been used through the winter.
That does it , someone else can take the risk and l will hang on to €80 :smile:

Sharky

Guru
Quite like aksiums. Have used them for about 10 years and have been reliable. The freehub can deteriate and start making a growl and can even stop being a freewheel, but removal and a little oil makes them good again.

Price wise, considering a new pair is only £140, a second hand pair shouldn't be more than about a third of the new price.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Quite like aksiums. Have used them for about 10 years and have been reliable. The freehub can deteriate and start making a growl and can even stop being a freewheel, but removal and a little oil makes them good again.
I bought a pair of Aksiums from a mate. He had damaged the rear wheel (derailleur into spokes) and had replaced 2 broken spokes. He missed damage on a 3rd spoke, however, and it snapped on a forum ride to Blackpool. I replaced the broken spoke and the wheels have been fine since...

... except for the freehub growling and trying to stop being a freehub! :laugh: I cleaned the freehub and used a very light lube on it. No problems in the 8+ years since then.

Price wise, considering a new pair is only £140, a second hand pair shouldn't be more than about a third of the new price.
I think that I paid about £40-50 and then a few pounds for 4 spare spokes, only one of which has been needed.

davidphilips

Veteran
Keep a look on EBay as some times theres Mavic Cosmic Elite on sale (from Hong Kong) bought a set about a month ago delivered for £139, none at that price at present, similar to Aksium but a bit deeper and look great.
As for the second hand wheels ? If there is a good set of GP4000 tyres or similar on them they would be a great buy but if the tyres are old or cheap then £80 is at the top end of there value and unless you need them asap then i would forget about them.

Top Bottom