Mavic Ellipse Wheels - Freewheel possible?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am hoping to replace my ageing Mavic Open Pro Wheels with a set of Mavic Ellipse but I am not sure if it is possible to fit a single freewheel.

The technical spec of the hubs are:

Bearings: QRM+
Color: black
Fixed cog, 1.37 x 24 TPI thread
Front and rear axle material: steel
Front and rear bodies: aluminum
Rear axle size: 9 x 120

It does say "fixed cog" but that does actually mean fixed wheel and a definate no to freewheel?

If it is not possible could someone recommend a set that would definately take a single freewheel?

Will1985

Über Member
Yes it's possible. Seeing as you want a freewheel, it's fair to assume this isn't for the track and therefore you'll have brakes - they are track wheels, and while they have a braking surface, it is anodised so it'll probably wear unevenly.

There must be other sub 2-kg wheelsets out there - either new OP rims or On-One fixed wheelset?

OP
OP
bernieUK

bernieUK

Veteran
Thank you for replying.

My bike is a singlespeed used for commuting only and it does have brakes. Perhaps a set of Mavic Ellipse would not be a wise choice. Maybe another Mavic Open Pro would be a good idea. It certainly would be cheaper. Mavic are the only make I have had on this bike. Are there other makes that might be better? I have to admit to still being not too knowledgeable about cycling in general so I am a little unsure as to what to look for - make and spec wise.

Thanks again.

brodie

A fixed sprocket and a freewheel should fit onto the same hub threads. So yes you can just screw on a freewheel in place of a fixed sprocket.

Top Bottom