Mavic Or Shimano wheels .?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gmw492

Veteran
Sorry if this is just another post on wheel upgrade but can't seem to find my answer anywhere...
So here goes ...looking at wheel set upgrade soon not in a rush but have seen a couple of pairs on offers Shimano RS31 £124 or the Mavic Askium Elite £198,shimano have the biggest saving 50% so seem similar wheels,had Mavic Askium (not Elite) wheels before on another bike and thought they were really good,I know the more you pay the better wheel you can get but for this price is it worth looking at these and if so anyone got reviews on them, I could wait a while but if they are worth it I could get one or the other whilst they are on offer..

U

User6179

Not had the shimano wheels but have had 2 sets of the Aksiums but at nearly £200 ( I paid under £150 for mine) I think that I would rather have a set of Fulcrum 5s at £175 , had a pair before and rear wheel lasted 8000 miles and front well over 10000 miles , only bought the Aksiums because they were in my budget at time .

Have a look at the Fulcrums , see what you think , bit of a noisy freehub but you get used to it , apart from that mine were excellent http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...gclid=CMjliY3Z3cQCFYsEwwodtmMAaw&gclsrc=aw.ds

OP
OP
gmw492

gmw492

Veteran
Not had the shimano wheels but have had 2 sets of the Aksiums but at nearly £200 ( I paid under £150 for mine) I think that I would rather have a set of Fulcrum 5s at £175 , had a pair before and rear wheel lasted 8000 miles and front well over 10000 miles , only bought the Aksiums because they were in my budget at time .

Have a look at the Fulcrums , see what you think , bit of a noisy freehub but you get used to it , apart from that mine were excellent http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...gclid=CMjliY3Z3cQCFYsEwwodtmMAaw&gclsrc=aw.ds
Ah right thanks just found reviews on them now I do like the way the Aksiums roll and the elite are the next ones up and lighter too,will look at the Fulcrums too

pawl

Legendary Member
Sorry if this is just another post on wheel upgrade but can't seem to find my answer anywhere...
So here goes ...looking at wheel set upgrade soon not in a rush but have seen a couple of pairs on offers Shimano RS31 £124 or the Mavic Askium Elite £198,shimano have the biggest saving 50% so seem similar wheels,had Mavic Askium (not Elite) wheels before on another bike and thought they were really good,I know the more you pay the better wheel you can get but for this price is it worth looking at these and if so anyone got reviews on them, I could wait a while but if they are worth it I could get one or the other whilst they are on offer..
Tyre fitting Mavic a swine.Shimano easy.

OP
OP
gmw492

gmw492

Veteran
Never thought of that as I was fortunate not to get a puncture on my old Askiums :blush:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Before you buy take a look at the German sites - Bike Discount have Aksium Elites for £166 (inc Mavic tyres), and Aksium Ones for less (+ delivery) BTW I've not had any problems fitting tyres to them - Gatorskins, Lithion 2s, Michelin Pro4S, Mavic Yksion Comp (all folding). Good prices for Shimano too, even with delivery.

OP
OP
gmw492

gmw492

Veteran
Great thanks will look at them :okay:

OP
OP
gmw492

gmw492

Veteran

Looked at Fulcrums good reviews but noticed the Fulcrum 3 are on offer bit more than I wanted to fork out on but £279.00 ,think it's the offer making me think but good reviews,so did the Fulcrums roll better and sturdier than the Mavics?

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Just as a bit of info, I've ride both Fulcrum and Mavic wheels. Fulcrum's are Racing 7's & Racing Quattros and my Mavic's are Cosmic Carbone SLS's. The Fulcrums just roll and roll and roll and roll, the Quattro's are an excellent set for the money. Tyre fitting wise, Conti GP4000s2's, they go on and off the Mavic wheels really easily, a bit more effort required on the Quattro's and even more effort needed on the 7's.

OP
OP
gmw492

gmw492

Veteran
Yes read they are hard to fit tyres too but you said they roll better ,so as you have both which do you prefer ? Like I said previously I was happy with my Mavic Askiums but they came with the bike fitted but as I want an upgrade I'm looking at different makes and quality I currently have Axis 1.0 and although I'm not as fit as last year these seem hard work feels like the brake is on sometimes don't roll very good :banghead:

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
which do you prefer ?
I love both wheel sets which do different things for me, I couldn't say which I prefer best as they are different beasts. I would say that in the price range you are looking at you wouldn't be disappointed with a set of Quattros or similar Fulcrums, 3's or 5's, although I can't comment on the performance of the latter two as I've never ridden them.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Tyre fitting Mavic a swine.Shimano easy.
Have only ever used Mavics, why is tyre fitting a swine, Never ever had a problem fitting tyres, Have used a few different tyres. the only one i ever had a problem with was a turbo tyre, And that was a little tight but not a problem.

OP
OP
gmw492

gmw492

Veteran
I have not stopped reading reviews all night,last week I couldn't see beyond Mavics but as you and @Eddy said Fulcrums look good,really good reviews on the 5 mixed reviews on the 3 ,looking at the 5 for the price they are,didn't really want to upgrade so early but when offers become available guess you got to grab them while they last.

Top Bottom