Maxims to live your life by

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Never fly economy. Ever.

Similar to ours....don't come to the meeting with problems, come with solutions.

Yup - one of those rubbish trendy management things that they get taught on courses

Clearly identifying a problem is important
but sometimes the person who finds the fire isn't the best person to put it out
If I find a fire in a factory I want to get everyone out - how to put the fire out I will leave to the Fire Brigade
and discuss it over a "meeting" when I ring 999 and tell them
They come up with the solution - I just identified the problem

I think I lost a potential job over this sort of thing
I was in an interview and all was going well - they seemed impressed
then they said they were looking for someone who sees challenges not problems and I disagreed
a problem and a challenge are not the same thing - the challenge MAY be to overcome the problem - but the trite phrase over simplifies something that needs experience and knowledge to sort out

Anyway - they didn;t offer me the job

If only...I've flown business class fairly frequently in my former job and know which I'd choose. Sadly, reality takes over and you end up in cattle class with everyone else on charter flights.

Exactly - otherwise economy wouldn;t exist

did fly "First class" once but it was just to Greece and it was basically the same but with better service and the middle seat of each triple was left free
It was all that was available at the time and we got a discount from the holiday as they had run out of flights but not room!

Would like to try it properly one day
Should be soon I think I must be down to win that Omaze house this month as I have been doing it for several months now and have not won it yet - so it MUST be my turn!!

Never fly economy. Ever.

Over 80% of the world don't fly at all, so this advice may be redundant?

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Yup - one of those rubbish trendy management things that they get taught on courses

Clearly identifying a problem is important
but sometimes the person who finds the fire isn't the best person to put it out
If I find a fire in a factory I want to get everyone out - how to put the fire out I will leave to the Fire Brigade
and discuss it over a "meeting" when I ring 999 and tell them
They come up with the solution - I just identified the problem

I think I lost a potential job over this sort of thing
I was in an interview and all was going well - they seemed impressed
then they said they were looking for someone who sees challenges not problems and I disagreed
a problem and a challenge are not the same thing - the challenge MAY be to overcome the problem - but the trite phrase over simplifies something that needs experience and knowledge to sort out

Anyway - they didn;t offer me the job

"Don't bring me problems, bring me solutions"

The last refuge of the manager who is over promoted, lazy, incompetent, or some combination of these traits.

Divesting yourself of responsibility for addressing any issues might seem like a good idea, but it will bite you in the arse one day, no matter how much word salad you regurgitate.

The last refuge of the manager who is over promoted, lazy, incompetent, or some combination of these traits.

Divesting yourself of responsibility for addressing any issues might seem like a good idea, but it will bite you in the arse one day, no matter how much word salad you regurgitate.

Yup
I always found it best to come with 3 solutions
1 that was too expensive
1 that was clearly risky or stupid
And the one I wanted to use

Let him make a decision and he will love you for it

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"

Disagree. I always encourage them to come to me when they have issues but I want to know what they think is he best solution. If I agree, I'll back them up and they can take ownership. If I disagree I can either cut straight to my solution or work with them to get to a solution I agree with. I want them to grow, develop and understand the process not just be bots who pass all problems onto others.

Slick

Guru
Maybe someone who just sees life as it is perhaps. I've k own plenty of people who wing it through life, never their fault when it goes wrong....
Maybe, as we have all known people that wing it, but to get to that in response to what I posted was a bit of a stretch to say the least.

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Disagree. I always encourage them to come to me when they have issues but I want to know what they think is he best solution. If I agree, I'll back them up and they can take ownership. If I disagree I can either cut straight to my solution or work with them to get to a solution I agree with. I want them to grow, develop and understand the process not just be bots who pass all problems onto others.

Do you say to them "don't bring me problems, bring me solutions"?

Top Bottom