Maxims to live your life by

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
One I really did used to try to follow when I was cycling...
Don't go out on the bike at schools out. The roads are full of parents who sem oblivious to anyone's safety except their precious child in the back.

But they can't let their little darlings walk to school with all that dangerous traffic around. 😂

I preferred to go into meetings with a ‘you’ve got this problem, this is how we can solve it’ line.

When I was working on a big company I was often called to a meeting
normally with short notice - and very casual so no need to an agenda or anything - a "we just was a quick chat about" type meeting

to be confronted with

WE HAVE THIS MAJOR MASSIVE PROBLEM THAN WILL BANKRUPT THE WHOLE COMPANY (£1Billion a year turnover BTW) UNLESS YOU FIX IT

SO WHY HAVE YOU NOT FIXED IT YET!!!!!!

and - BTW - in a couple of cases they were right about it having the potential to bankrupt the company!!!

more sensible teams called me in before hand but it was still a case of
"we have this problem - how can you fix it"
at which point it became my problem and my responsibility (except when it came to spending money and ordering their staff to do things in which case it became "our" problem again for a few minutes)

still it was a great place to work at the time!!

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Do you say to them "don't bring me problems, bring me solutions"?

No, but I try to be consistent so they know I'm going to ask what their thoughts are so they think it through before they meet me.

In my case, I'm trying to develop them into sales managers responsible for a territory. They have to be able to think through problems and come up with ways to fix them - that satisfies the customer without costing the company. If I fix every problem for them they never learn, they never develop and they'll never progress.

Gwylan

Veteran
No, but I try to be consistent so they know I'm going to ask what their thoughts are so they think it through before they meet me.

In my case, I'm trying to develop them into sales managers responsible for a territory. They have to be able to think through problems and come up with ways to fix them - that satisfies the customer without costing the company. If I fix every problem for them they never learn, they never develop and they'll never progress.

What would you do if you were playing with your own money?

Top Bottom