Maximum rider weight a bike can carry?

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Bigtallfatbloke, 20 Sep 2007.

1. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

How do I know this?...looking at new bikes on the web they all look great but none I have seen quote the maximum safe rider weight it can carry before it collapses in a heap of expensive carbon.

2. skwerl

skwerl New Member

I think general advice for carbon is not to go over the 90kg-ish mark.

3. starseven

starseven Guest

I know your considering a faster road bike at the mo, frames usually have a warranty so if it breaks you get a new one.

When i first got my Allez (admittidley a practicle sort of race bike) I was all careful with it, now its the only bike I use, dirt tracks, bridleways and on the road , Im not much under 100kg and the bike is fine.

I have changed the wheels for Askiums , which are also used on cyclocross bikes and the tyres for 25mm Gatorskins. I could be tempting fate here, but the bike feels very solid, could be different if you get some extreme lightweight carbon job.

4. chris42

chris42 New Member

I have been as heavy as 118 KGS on my trek carbon with no problems at all.

5. OP
    OP
    Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

...ok...well I am I 'little':biggrin: heavier...at jus tunder 19stone...so I am thinking I should avoid a full carbon frame...however what say you to a aluminium frame with carbon fork? Like the bianchi's...maybe I should ask Bianchi...:blush:

6. sloxam

sloxam New Member

ok, i was 20 stone+ when i got my allez, no probs apart from pinging spokes (crap wheels), upgraded wheels. got to 17 stone, bought a roubaix, ace bike, super comfy, no probs at all.

7. barq

barq Senior Member

I can't comment on the frame issue but when I was larger I used to have wheel problems. Hand built wheels with more rather than less spokes (e.g. 36) seemed to make a big difference.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice