Maximum rider weight a bike can carry?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

How do I know this?...looking at new bikes on the web they all look great but none I have seen quote the maximum safe rider weight it can carry before it collapses in a heap of expensive carbon.

skwerl

I think general advice for carbon is not to go over the 90kg-ish mark.

I know your considering a faster road bike at the mo, frames usually have a warranty so if it breaks you get a new one.

When i first got my Allez (admittidley a practicle sort of race bike) I was all careful with it, now its the only bike I use, dirt tracks, bridleways and on the road , Im not much under 100kg and the bike is fine.

I have changed the wheels for Askiums , which are also used on cyclocross bikes and the tyres for 25mm Gatorskins. I could be tempting fate here, but the bike feels very solid, could be different if you get some extreme lightweight carbon job.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

...ok...well I am I 'little':biggrin: heavier...at jus tunder 19stone...so I am thinking I should avoid a full carbon frame...however what say you to a aluminium frame with carbon fork? Like the bianchi's...maybe I should ask Bianchi...:blush:

sloxam

ok, i was 20 stone+ when i got my allez, no probs apart from pinging spokes (crap wheels), upgraded wheels. got to 17 stone, bought a roubaix, ace bike, super comfy, no probs at all.

barq

I can't comment on the frame issue but when I was larger I used to have wheel problems. Hand built wheels with more rather than less spokes (e.g. 36) seemed to make a big difference.

Top Bottom