Maximum Weight on a Tourer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Tim Bennet. said:
Repeating popular misconceptions about carbonfibre will never make them fact. Carbonfibre components may fail and their mechanism of failure may not appeal to everyone, but please apportion blame where blame lays.

Please explain exactly what misconceptions I have propagated.

One again, my local framebuilder is currently inundated with carbon fibre composite bikes awaiting repair. None of the cases involve spontaneous failure. They are damaged cycles, mostly through accident/collision. Several of the cases are due to overtightening of components reulting in cracks in the composite resin.

Please state clearly if you are accusing me of lying.

Please also explain where I have apportioned blame on either the material or the manufacturer, I don't remember doing so.

Tim Bennet. said:
The design, manufacture, installation and maintenance of bike components have at times, all been found wanting, but carbon fibre is just the material. And it's a fantastic material with properties that make it superior to everything else. When we've had as much experience of using and developing CF as we have with steel bike tubing (100 years plus), I'm sure its implementation will be as reliable.

I too think it's a material with a big future. I don't think that I have said anywhere that it isn't. Please explain where I have siad this.

And you keep inferring that I have implied that the material isn't reliable. Once again, please explain where I have questioned its reliability.

Seems that you have alot of exlaining to do, huh?

willem

Über Member
To return to the original question: this bike is an audax style bike and 20 kg really is rather a lot for that kind of bike. It gets marginally easier with the widest possible tyres. but that is about it. The best you can do is reduce the load. Take some inspriration from the ultralight hikers: they go well below 10 kilo´s. Realistically, you can go down to 15 kilo without investing in fancy gear. With luck, this will allow you to leave that horrible rucksack at home.
Willem

ch3

hmmm mixed opinions about the carbon fiber fork. Apart from the scientific side of things, has anybody heard/seen a fork snapping while touring or during everyday cycling?
I am sure it will be fine if I look after it. I just need to be prepared for a mega faceplant if that does happen!
=
By the way, what is the fork blade? Is it when the wheel attaches with the fork?

Bigtwin

ch3 said:
hmmm mixed opinions about the carbon fiber fork. Apart from the scientific side of things, has anybody heard/seen a fork snapping while touring or during everyday cycling?
I am sure it will be fine if I look after it. I just need to be prepared for a mega faceplant if that does happen!
=
By the way, what is the fork blade? Is it when the wheel attaches with the fork?

The blades are the actual forks below the headset. The steerer is the bit inside and poking out the top of the headset.

Info here: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/buyers-guide-to-carbon-forks-11419

A few seconds on google will give you hours of photies and stuff about carbon fork failure.

Starter for 10: http://cozybeehive.blogspot.com/2008/12/bontrager-carbon-fiber-fork-failure.html

http://www.articlesbase.com/law-articles/safety-concerns-over-carbon-forks-on-bicycles-1042147.html

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=16546

Fork Failure
With carbon fiber, failures can be even more insidious. I have handled several cases involving fork failures, which can be deadly. In one case the forks on a high-priced carbon fiber frame broke when the rider was doing nothing more than leaving his driveway at a very slow speed. He was thrown to the ground and hit his head. At the time he thought he suffered no more than a headache but 3 days later, he went into a seizure due to a subdural hematoma. After several months in hospital he was released and attempted to lead a normal life but shortly after his case settled, he suffered another seizure, hit his head and died. He was wearing a helmet when he fell but even at low speed impacts, helmet manufacturers warn that a helmet cannot prevent serious injuries.

Since that case I have had several other fork failure cases, from broken necks to minor scrapes and bruises.

The problem with the fork failures is that there is no way to detect them before they occur. The failure generally stems from inadequate construction techniques which will lead to micro-cracking. These types of cracks expand during the life of the bicycle use until it ultimately fails. They can occur at any speed and over any type of surface.

ch3

Well in my case, I bought the bike before I even thought about touring. Now I've already spend a few hundreds pounds for gear and stuff and ideally I'd like to avoid buying a completely new bike or even changing the current fork.

Top Bottom