May I have a quick rant please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
is being anti-american counted as racism, or just fair comment?

the one "septic" on my radar is my daughter's best friend's friend who also considers daughter's best friend her best friend's mother (got me so far?).

daughter's best friends mum (and her own) get fed up with the womans constant insecurity about their daughters' friendship. the woman can't understand that, at least this side of the pond, best friends is not some sort of way of saying "she's my friend, go away".

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Arch said:
(the way things are going, I wonder if she'll get moved. But we'll never hear the end of it...)

Perhaps your supervisor could come up with a "cunning plan" to put her in her own space. Of course if the combined intellect of all concerned worked on such a plan then your supervisor's idea would "just come to him/her" all by itself. :biggrin:

Failing that a bulk order of earplugs on Health & Safety grounds ......

Or one very large cork :biggrin:;)

I have some Canadian friends - the first time I met them I was amused that they very quickly, without prompting or it actually being relevant to what we were talking about, wanted to make it clear they were Canadian and not American.

They obviously find it make people react, err differently, to them !

papercorn2000

Kill her with an axe and dump her body in the Ouse. At the very worst, you'll be on telly and you'd get loads of respect in prison.

I try to stay away from massive generalisations about national groups made on the basis of single encounters. They did elect GW, however, soooo...

A few years ago I was in a Dublin pub when a group of Americans came in and started ordering lunch. It became clear from their conversation that they'd arrived early that morning and, after trying to sleep off he worst ravages of jet lag, were tentatively taking their first steps into 'overseas'.

The waiter in the crowded, city-centre pub was just the sort of person you want in that job: fast, multi-tasking, physically attractive and polite. The Americans were clearly having some problems translating the menu, so as she delivered our food, wiped the table, gave opinions on the Gaelic football, enquired about our health and recommended a number of possible places for us to visit that afternoon (about 90 seconds in all), the waiter answered questions about the contents, variety and identity of a number of the items on the menu for them.

One woman started asking interminable questions about six or seven different sandwiches, asking for opinions from her companions on each one after getting the reply. Ms Whizz the Waiter had orders from all but this one woman and it seemed to me that if she dragged it out much longer there was a definite possibility that violence would be done. Eventually, the American asked 'what sort of cheese is in the cheese sandwiches?' and the waiter sped off with a curt, 'I'll ask the chef'.

She returned almost as soon as she'd left with the answer 'grated' - delivered in such a way as to make it clear to half the pub (who were listening by now) that if a cheese sandwich was not ordered and consumed, there'd be trouble.

It duly was. We left a large tip.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
At the risk of generalising I've found that Americans in their home country are typically very nice and helpful and patient. When "abroad" they seem to develop that stereo typical a-hole American behaviour. I'm guessing it's an insecurity they have from being so parochial at home.

But then I'm generalising....:biggrin:

papercorn2000 said:
I shouldn't worry too much. Patrick would be along soon to try and get her off.:biggrin:
Go back and re-read that last sentence....:biggrin:

I say old girl, have you tried brutal honesty? Or, failing that, honest brutality? Perhaps (and I know it's easier said than done) a succession of people telling her that she is rude, aggressive and has a bad attitude might just penetrate her thick skin.

Or just kill her.:biggrin:

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
When living in Worcestershire, would always avoid going to Stratford-upon-Avon during the summer months 'cos of all the American tourists. They should really wear Army fatigues as they seem to think they have invaded and taken over.

domtyler said:
I normally find that doing secret stuff is the most satisfying way to get back at these types, like bringing your girlfriend in to work at the weekend and having sex on his/her chair, accepting invitations to their house and wiping your genitals on their flannel, that kind of stuff.

LMAO:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom