May I take a short, casual, survey on the Fatzua system?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

richtea

You can get a very light variant of the Ribble Endurance SL e - 10.5kg. However, you'll also get a very light wallet!

The Boardmans and the basic Ribbles/Orbeas (which are all roughly in the 15Kg area) seem to be a good balance on the weight / price trade-off if you're after some assistance as opposed to shedloads of assistance.
However (as stated by other posters above) if you need LOTS of power, then you'll need to go for something heavier. Big batteries weigh a lot, and need a pretty solid frame and space to mount them onto.

In terms of looks, the Ribble & Orbea Gain/Vibe are tidier with a smaller diameter down tube than the Fazua. However, that comes at the expense of no removable battery, which in turn may be good - in terms of possible battery theft*, or bad - in terms of having to bring it into the house to charge it if you have a bare garage like mine.

*Ribbles & Orbeas don't even look like eBikes - another possible bonus on the theft front.

Last edited:

gzoom

Über Member
Oh I really like the look (and weight) of the new top spec Riddle. 10.5kg is now banging on the door of been considered a proper road bike, the top spec analogue road bikes are below 7kg now, so might we see a sub 10kg eBike soon? I hope so.

At under £7k I would say its actually 'cheap' for a top of the line machine, when an analogue Trek Emonda eTap is the same price and a stop spec one is over 5k figurs.....I recon I'm very close to finding my 40th birthday present to my self, sub 10kg will be the trigger for me :smile:

The eMotion 35 motor am sure is due an update soon......am sure its going to be a matter of when not if we see a sub 10kg eBike, end of this year I recon?

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Is that a 15kg area as the manufacturer claims, or the 15kg area as they actually are after you've personally put them on the scales? As aforementioned, the two figures appear to bear no mathematical relation to one another.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
You can get a very light variant of the Ribble Endurance SL e - 10.5kg. However, you'll also get a very light wallet!

The Boardmans and the basic Ribbles/Orbeas (which are all roughly in the 15Kg area) seem to be a good balance on the weight / price trade-off if you're after some assistance as opposed to shedloads of assistance.
However (as stated by other posters above) if you need LOTS of power, then you'll need to go for something heavier. Big batteries weigh a lot, and need a pretty solid frame and space to mount them onto.

In terms of looks, the Ribble & Orbea Gain/Vibe are tidier with a smaller diameter down tube than the Fazua. However, that comes at the expense of no removable battery, which in turn may be good - in terms of possible battery theft*, or bad - in terms of having to bring it into the house to charge it if you have a bare garage like mine.

*Ribbles & Orbeas don't even look like eBikes - another possible bonus on the theft front.
As of this moment I can happily do 20-30 miles** on a "standard" bike......but at 74 I have to think of next year etc.
**of course that was before this virus wiped me out. I will be virtually starting again.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I
Is that a 15kg area as the manufacturer claims, or the 15kg area as they actually are after you've personally put them on the scales? As aforementioned, the two figures appear to bear no mathematical relation to one another.
I have read several so called independent reviews that confirm the Ribble at 13.5 Kg.
In my working life I was used to lifting 20 Kg blocks and when packing for holidays (and test/lift the bags) I am never more than 0.5 Kg out from the scale......so will know if its porkies.

gzoom

Über Member

My Boardman in large frame weighs in at 15.8kg including pedals, pretty much identical to claimed weight of 15.5kg for medium frame.

CXRAndy

Guru
Interesting content, predictable results.

It allows riders either to match the best of their mates or make a ride relaxing whatever the terrain

Road CC just dont have the GCN enthusiasm, presentation.

gzoom

Über Member
@Dave7 I've just ridden to work on my road bike, and given what you have said about what you are after in an bike, I would say get the Ribble.

I really like my Boardman as a commuting tool (even though its not that reliable), but when it comes to 'feel' and 'enjoyment' my Trek Roadbike is simply so much nicer, even when carrying a whole load of commuting gear. I don't know if its down the weight on the Boardman, or the frame, or the wheelset (probably all those things), its not as nice to ride regardless of the electric assistance.

I would love to be still on my bike at 74, enjoy what ever you buy!!!

51145891501_e0008a9758_c_d.jpg

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
.am sure its going to be a matter of when not if we see a sub 10kg eBike, end of this year I recon?

No chance.

The only reason the likes of the Ribble and Boardman are around 16kg is they have lighter batteries and motors, which equates directly to a reduction in power and range compared to the 20kg+ ebikes.

Thus all have the same technology, just implemented differently.

Motor and battery technology moves forward at a glacial pace, neither has gone anywhere in the last 15 years or more.

A motor and battery designed today and one of equivalent power and range designed in 2000 would weigh the same.

An electrified 6.5kg carbon dream machine will, of course, weigh less than an electrified 10.5kg ally roadie.

gzoom

Über Member
No chance.

The only reason the likes of the Ribble and Boardman are around 16kg is they have lighter batteries and motors, which equates directly to a reduction in power and range compared to the 20kg+ ebikes.

Why not, the eMotion 35 powered bikes are not 16kg, they are now just a smidge over 10kg - 10.5kg infact.

You don't need massive changes in smaller electronic controllers, less wiring etc to gain an reduction of 500 grams. For the manufacture it'll be a massive selling point, sub 10kg eBike....much easier to justify spending £10K on one of those than a normal analogue bike.

The motor/battery in the Ribble/Boardman also provide more than enough assistance/range for most people, I can get nearly 60 miles range of mine. On a light bike, better aero position, I recon more range is more than possible. I can push 20mph on the flat with no assistance, but up any incline into double digits and my speed drops to nearer 10mph. 2kg weight penalty on the flat will make next to no difference at 20mph, but having an extra 100-200watts on tap on the climbs would be a massive help, and lift me average speed.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Why not, the eMotion 35 powered bikes are not 16kg, they are now just a smidge over 10kg - 10.5kg infact.

The eBikemotion system weighs about 4-5kg, so as you know, a complete 10.5kg bike is achieved by electrifying a superlight carbon dream machine.

Stick an EBikemotion on a more realistic for most us 10-11kg £1,000 ally roadie or flat bar and you will have bikes weighing around 14-15kg of the type the OP is considering.

Or put another way, a system with the same power and range of Ebikemotion produced in 2000 would weigh about the same as it does today.

That Ebikemotion/Fazua riders are happy with their bikes is a separate point.

I agree most are, despite some reliability problems.

I'm always pleased to learn any cyclist is happy with his new bike.

gzoom

Über Member
The eBikemotion system weighs about 4-5kg, so as you know, a complete 10.5kg bike is achieved by electrifying a superlight carbon dream machine.

Which makes the new Ribble even more of a 'bargain' at under £7k, considering top spec road bikes are easily £10k+ these days!!

All the more reason to buy one :smile:.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Which makes the new Ribble even more of a 'bargain' at under £7k, considering top spec road bikes are easily £10k+ these days!!

All the more reason to buy one :smile:.

Roadie bikes aren't my thing, but it looks like the £3,000 carbon Ribble ebike shares the same frame with the £6,999 one.

In that respect, the bargain looks to be the cheaper bike, although I accept you weren't being entirely serious.

Is the dearer bike worth the extra for Di2 and presumably lots of other goodies?

Genuine question, because I don't know the answer.

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-endurance-sl-e/

Top Bottom