Maybe we just weren't elitist enough for the ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Don't really want to wade in but I am going to! If you can afford it, buy it and ride it, if you want to wear Lycra wear Lycra the strangest one to me has always been paying to cycle on public roads being told where to go with a huge swathe of different types of riders. It never has smacked of being fun to me. But I don't think people who do enjoy it as Cockwomble! Its quite a strange thing the perception (I guess we all have to an extent) of people by the way they look or the things they own.

Would the OP not be considered a Lycra wearing Cockwomble *whatever that is) cyclist by the non cycling public? Going by his Profile Pic. To make this post to satisfy my OCD I had to add Cockwomble to my dictionary...

When I go for a ride I don't really care what other cyclists do or wear.

When I do a sportive I don't really care what other cyclists do or wear.

When I'm on cycle chat I don't really care what cyclists do or wear.

When I meet up with some of them in Cambridge I now do care what cyclists do and wear because I spent April in shock at the hideousness I was presented with.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
OP - chip on shoulder I fear. Put yourself in a sportive and expect to meet cyclists with all manner of bikes, shorts, opinions and riding styles. This is life. For the good of cycling, let's stop thrashing each other with negative reports. Try Audax UK if you want something more self-sufficient. Some good days out to be had. Oh, and save up for some better shorts, huh?

Off we head and to say we didnt fit in around all the £2k + bikes and branded attire is an understatement. The group of 15 shot off and left us to our own devices.
This is where I am stuck. A bunch of strangers who are more serious about cycling and much faster didn't hand around to wait for you?

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Uncle Bulge Area?

IMG_0032.GIF

GilesM

Legendary Member
Don't really want to wade in but I am going to! If you can afford it, buy it and ride it, if you want to wear Lycra wear Lycra the strangest one to me has always been paying to cycle on public roads being told where to go with a huge swathe of different types of riders. It never has smacked of being fun to me. But I don't think people who do enjoy it as Cockwomble! Its quite a strange thing the perception (I guess we all have to an extent) of people by the way they look or the things they own.

I agree, I struggle with the basic concept.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
You're not paying to ride on public roads, you're paying for the support and organisation, and in some instances for the closure of those roads so you can enjoy riding on them without motor traffic for company.

'Being told where to go' is a bizarre way of looking at it too - the main purpose of entering any organised cycling event for me is the pleasure of riding a route that someone else has gone to the trouble of devising, usually in an area where I don't normally ride so wouldn't have the knowledge or experience to come up with a decent route myself.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
You're not paying to ride on public roads, you're paying for the support and organisation, and in some instances for the closure of those roads so you can enjoy riding on them without motor traffic for company.

'Being told where to go' is a bizarre way of looking at it too - the main purpose of entering any organised cycling event for me is the pleasure of riding a route that someone else has gone to the trouble of devising, usually in an area where I don't normally ride so wouldn't have the knowledge or experience to come up with a decent route myself.
Maybe I am just more independent, can use a map or Garmin and quite happy to stop off at a shop or coffee shop for some refreshment of my choice. Some of my best rides have been in areas I have never been to and just feeling my way around using a Garmin and my sense of direction. The ones I have looked at as my Daughter showed some interest all seemed to be advertising events that you paid for or outright money making.

Top Bottom